Very Disappointed in NOD32 v3

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by qdemn7, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

I've been using NOD32 for over 5 years, always been extremely pleased, any infections were caught right away. Never had any problems with permanent infections requiring clean install of Windows. The only problem I've encountered in the past is false positives generated when running Trojan Hunter automatic scanning while NOD32 is running.

Just upgraded to v3 yesterday, and had nothing but problems. Constant BSODs with the easdrv.sys as the culprit. Uninstalled NOD32 reinstalled it 3 times, still not working.

Contacted support and they told me that I can't run Trojan Hunter, and Spybot Tea Timer while running v3. so I turned them off in msconfig. The last time the system ran OK for about 4 hours before the BSOD started again. Started up BOINC and that was it.

Still running Spywareblaster, don't know if that's the problem or what. I really don't want to have to uninstall it, but I will if I have to. So right now I have no anti-virus on my system. Still working with support, sent them a LookinmyPC report as they requested.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  2. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Turning them off in msconfig is not the same as uninstalling. I would really try uninstalling them.

3. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

welcome to eset support forum
    tell about your OS
    what version you trying to install(v3.0.650 letest)

4. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

Thank you for the quick replies. System is XP Pro w/all updates. Very latest version, downloaded just yesterday 04/03. Do you want a list of all installed software?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The best would be to create a full memory dump when a BSOD occurs. If you have a fast-speed Internet connection, I can grant you access to our ftp so that we could get the dump and analyse it.

6. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

I can do that. I'll have to reinstall NOD32. Thank for the help. What info do you need from me to grant me access?

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'll PM you details. Note that the size of a full memory dump will be as large as the amount of installed RAM, but zipping it will diminisher it a bit.

8. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

Acknowledged. PM replied.

9. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

File uploaded. I re-installed NOD32, tried a few things, and the system seemed OK. Rebooted the system and got an immediate BSOD.

10. gvWSF

gvWSF Registered Member

Usually BSOD issues are retaled to hardware. I wouldn't blame v3 for that.

11. piranha

piranha Registered Member

anybody can explain what is BSOD ?

qdemn7

Downgrade to v2.7, i did and many other did. One day the v3 will be as perfect as v2.7 is still now

12. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

BSOD is a "blue screen of death" - the characteristically blue error screen seen when an error is serious enough to cause the system to halt :)

13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

third attempt with v3, still get much more ram and cpu use than v2.7 it was'nt allowed by my firewall (on silent oops) after 4 days i noticed it had never updated, as shown in the log and yet all was green and giving full protection aparrently? back with 2.7 again..

14. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

Well it's only be two days, if support and the forums here can't help, I will have to downgrade.

15. piranha

Ho boy !!!! BSOD...... remember me W98 !!!

Hardware problem ? If all is ok befor he installed NOD32 V3 and right after he got BSOD.... hum..... :doubt:

16. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Well all I can say is I gave version 650 a go of eset antivirus last night, I uninstalled and cleaned out the old version 2.7 with reg cleaners and deleted all files and folders, then I installed latest version 650 of eset antivirus and set it up using all of blackspears settings, things went ok for about 15 minutes, then bsod and I rebooted my system and all seemed to go ok, as it was getting late I went to my bed and when I checked my system in the morning about 5 hours later after install of version 650 I had lost my wireless connection it just would not connect, :'( I have never seen this in all of my 2 years using wireless until I installed v3 of eset and not had a bsod for many many months either, my other system connected to my router without any issues and it has version 2.7 installed on it, so I have uninstalled v3 650 and I have installed 2.7 of nod32 once again and set it up using blackspears settings and everything is back to normal .:D
    I will give v3 a go maybe in the future if things improve but I am like many others staying with version 2.7 for now which runs like a dream.:thumb:

THE MUL

17. CBiggerstaff

CBiggerstaff Registered Member

I've been having intermittent BSODs for about 3 weeks now myself. I enabled Verifier about an hour ago and it has identified easdrv.sys as the culprit. I just relized I'm running v3.0.642.0 even though I have updates on - guess maybe they just update signatures and not program - dunno. So I have downloaded v650 and am going to give that a try, but now you have me concerned that will not help either. I suppose it's worth a shot.
    I too have been a loyal user of NOD32 for some years and recommend it to my clients. This is concerning. Wonder if they lost some good developers or what - seems they are having issues with v3 across the board with their new variation offerings. I hope they can manage to come up with new reliable software in the future. I'm surprised they haven't managed it yet, I waited sometime to upgrade thinking they had finally got it good.

18. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

I'm beginning to think the developers tried to do much with one app. They seem to be making a mistake many other vendors have made, making their program become bloated memory hogs.

One reason I went to NOD32 was the recommendation of it's small footprint and lack of impact on the system. With v3, that seems to be falling by the wayside.

19. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

Update:

Well the easdrv.sys is definitely in conflict with something, I just don't know what. I uninstalled Spybot, Spywareblaster and Trojan Hunter. Did a CClean and a Registry Mechanic clean. Installed v3, and rebooted the system. Instant BSOD. I couldn't even boot into Safe Mode to do system restore. I had to use a backup drive as a boot drive, then go into the main drive C partition and delete all Eset files. The problem is that the easdrv.sys resides in the drivers folder and not the Eset folder. Once I did that I booted back into my primary drive and the system is now running fine. I'm not running ANY anti-virus, trojan or spyware apps, so I'm puzzled just what this driver is conflicting with.

20. e36

e36 Registered Member

Automatic registry cleaning is very risky. My guess is, this is the cause of your problem.

21. piranha

:shifty: I did it regularly too with CCleaner and RegCleaner with probleme here

22. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

I have to disagree, I've been using both for over a year now, with no problems before. The only BSOD, I've seen before this have been related to overclocking. Ther system isn't o/c now.

23. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Someone mentioned Spywareblaster. I have this and NOD V3, no problems.

24. qdemn7

qdemn7 Registered Member

It's not Spywareblaster. I unistalled that and the BSOD still occurs.

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

There's always a first time. :isay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.