Very confused about Nod upgrades

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by psych1610, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    Hi all, I'm currently close to purchasing a subscription to nod32 2.7.39 I think. Upon registering here I'm seeing posts about a "smart security suite" coming out soon that features firewall, av, and spam guard of some sort.

My question is this, I already have another firewall and don't get spammed enough to care about the spam portion of this new program, but is the regular Nod32 AV still being upgraded to 3.0. Basically, my questions are these

1. Is nod32 3.0 still coming out, and when? (best guess is cool)I can't seem to find any updates around here, except for the ones from a few months ago.

2. The only betas I can see to test are for the new smart security suite, is there even a 3.0 beta.

3. Or is it this, regular nod32 av will cease to exist and suite will take its place becoming the nod32 3.0 that seems to be used interchangeably with the security suite.

I just want the AV part (no suite) and am curious to see anything about it. There is no beta forum for nod32 v. 3.0, only security suite, but its supposedly still coming out.

In addition, will the independent av (if it is still around) be the same as the av implemented in the security suite? This post from the thread annoncing the smart security beta throws me off.

- improved and automatised cleaning
    - true incremental updates
    - export / import settings

psych1610

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

There will be a NOD 3.0 AV available for those that only want the AV. For now, all Beta testing is done on ESS, the suite that includes the firewall and anti-spam component. There is no firm time when version 3.0 will be available.

3. psych1610

So, the AV in nod 3.0 will be the same as the one in security suite, and so if I wanted to get a sneak peak I can download beta of ESS?

psych1610

4. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

Basically yes. But be aware that you cannot for now select components (i.e. Anti Spam, Firewall, AV) when installing the suite, so the whole package gets installed. So if you want to try it, you may have depending on your existing installation, to remove your current firewall/antispam solution(s) before installing it.

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Or you could just disable your current firewall, install ESS, then disable the firewall within ESS itself then re-enable your current firewall again. You can also disable the antispam module as well if you only want the AV running to test.

6. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hmm...

If you do that, there may be driver conflicts, between the minifilter in ESS and the firewall network driver/minifilter. The only way to know is to try though...

7. psych1610

Thanks for the information about this stuff, it made it a lot clearer for me. I may go ahead and try that and just disable the firewall and spam filter within the suite so I can get at the AV. I plan on purchasing a license anyway, so who knows.

psych1610

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Disabling the firewall will not unload the driver and it's the drivers which conflict between each other . Making the firewall driver not loading on start-up will only mess-up the whole ESS .

Your option is to either try the whole Eset Smart Security suit or rely on NOD32 v2 which is not bad at all . The firewall in ESS (working in Automatic mode) will do its job without even asking you .

9. The One

The One Frequent Poster

try on interactive mode. It is pretty ok. After a couple of hours you won't even know it is there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.