Version 9 Build 2289 is not fixed yet!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thebigdintx, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Use a checksum program to compare the TI image file on your C: drive with the one on the external disk - If not same then the copying corrupted the file therefore it is a problem with the external disk USB drivers, if the checksums are the same then it is a problem with TI.

2. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

I did that, and the checksums are the same.

3. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

So it's a bug in TI.
    Lodge a support request with Acronis.

4. thebigdintx

I have already lodged a support request with Acronis (Acronis #379980). I'm just waiting to hear back from them with more suggestions as to what else to do so we can get this thing working right.

5. noonie

noonie Registered Member

From your screenshots, you have the latest xp usb drivers installed correctly.
    If you just bought ti9, apparrantly acronis will give you ti8 because of all the issues. I suggest you test it. It sounds like ti is having a problem with your mb chipset/controllers.

I can relate to all the time you wasted. If you are sick of beta testing:
    You can also try this.
    Take the hdrive out of your external enclosure and put it on it in your computer on one of your free ide channels. Your image backup should then be fine with ti8 or 9.
    Or get another hdrive to mount in your computer to image too and then just copy to the external.
    Or get a mobile hdrive rack to mount the hdrive to use for image storage.
    All much faster than usb or firewire externals.
    Personally, I have a mobile hdrive rack in the computer and 6 mobile trays w/hdrives and can switch amongst them. One just for tib images. If tibs are made the right size they can always be burnt to cd or dvd anytime with simple software. The drives just can't be hotplugged like usb or firewire. No big deal. I too have a combo usb/firewire external enclosure, but ended up putting a dvd/cd burner in it.
    I don't even install ti, just use the boot disk for everthing. A 80 gig drive half full drive takes about 40 minutes with the boot cd to create an image(s). Remember keep it simple.
    I normally don't suggest all this, but it seems you are at the point where you have wasted too much time, don't want to fool with ti anymore, and just want to make images and go on with life. I've been there.
    BTW, after using the tray method, I've always had successful image restores.

Good kuck.

6. thebigdintx

Acronis sent me a different checksum tool to use than the other one I used. This one (eXpress CheckSum Calculator) appears to check CRC32 and SHA-1 in addition to MD5 which is all the other one checked I believe. I will attatch a screenshot of the results for checking the image located on the external drive, and the copy of the same image on the internal drive. (I will post another reply with the second image attatchment, as I don't think I can post two images in this reply).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  7. thebigdintx

here is the second image

Attached Files:

8. thebigdintx

I sent the results and the screenshots (that the checksums were the same for both images) to acronis support, and they said they are forwarding it to their development team for investigation. I will keep you posted of what the results.

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Careful, if you care about warranty you could be forfeiting it if the HDD and enclosure came as one packaged unit.

NOT a criticism, just a heads up.

Certainly they're all good food for thought. I need to get to one of these computer shows and see if I can get some nice sized HDDs on the cheap !

10. thebigdintx

Yes, my Acomdata 80GB external USB hard drive came as one packaged unit (and it's only about 2 weeks old) , so I am not going to be taking it apart anytime soon. The problem seems to remain with Acronis True Image version 9.0 build 2289 because I checked an image on my internal hard drive with a checksum tool Acronis sent me, copied the image to the external hard drive and checked it again with the checksum tool, and both checksums were the same indicating that there is not a problem with my hardware. Acronis sent the info to their development team to try and fix the T.I. program. (Fingers crossed that the next build will work properly!).

11. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Heh... Well I'm glad you sent it off bigd, after the claim I saw in that other thread and your response to it.

By no means has build 2289 fixed the problem for me either !

12. thebigdintx

I completed the following steps at the request of Acronis, and have sent them the following information:

1. I created a full disc image to my external drive using the Rescue CD: (12 minutes) "Backup archive creation has been completed with errors".

2. I checked the archive using the Rescue CD ( 7 seconds ??): "The archive was successfully checked".

3. I checked the archive using T.I. from within Windows" "Error E00070020: The archive is corrupted" message appears right away.

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello thebigdintx,

Please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

14. thebigdintx

My Acronis request number is 379980.

15. thebigdintx

Update on current problem status: I started this thread on October 14th, and I am still waiting for a new build (besides 2289) which works correctly. Acronis has told me they have forwarded the information I provided them to their development team, and now I am just waiting for a fix. Acronis, any chance of a new build with fix before the weekend?

16. thebigdintx

Does anyone think it would help in creating images which verify as ok if when I created the image I disconnected from the internet, and shut off my router, and shut down microsoft anti-spyware, zone alarm firewall, and mcafee antivirus from running ? I don't know if any of this would interfere with the T.I. program as far as creating good images goes.

17. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I can't see any valid reason why any networking software would affect imaging as it would not normally be affecting disk access. I would not expect the anti virus software to be trying to lock files open but in any case, TI operates at the sector level so I doubt if this would be a problem either.

18. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello thebigdintx,

You can eliminate all of those programs from the equation by booting from the TI boot rescue CD and creating an image/verifying it within the Linux environment. If it verifies o.k. then it's probably one of your Windows application that's interfering with TI.

Regards

19. thebigdintx

Hi. I did these steps the other day at the request of Acronis support, and I sent them this info:

1. I created a full disc image to my Acomdata external usb drive using the Rescue CD: (12 minutes) "Backup archive creation has been completed with errors".

2. I checked the archive using the Rescue CD ( 7 seconds ??): "The archive was successfully checked".

3. I checked the archive using T.I. from within Windows" "Error E00070020: The archive is corrupted" message appears right away.

20. Menorcaman

Hi thebigdintx,

This error is known about and will be corrected in a future build.

Something wrong here. A verification check should take almost as long as it took to create the image.

I would guess this is caused by the same problem that's responsible for the foreshortened image check when in the Linux based rescue environment. It's just being reported in a different way when TI is running under Windows.

Regards

21. thebigdintx

Acronis keeps saying that some problems have been fixed, and will be released in future builds, but they need to release a new build with some fixes that work soon because I'm running out of time before I have either keep my Acomdata external USB hard drive, or return it. And I definately don't want to keep it if I can not create, verify, and restore images with it because that is what I bought it for.

I was thinking of maybe returning the Acomdata external drive, and instead, buying an enclosure and a internal drive (maxtor maybe), and putting together my own external usb drive and trying that. I only need a smaller drive, maybe 40 GB or so, and want to spend less that $100 for the enclosure and drive, so any suggestions?

22. ssj152

ssj152 Registered Member

I get a different error; every backup to the secure area completes with a "completed with errors" message. The actual log entry is module 100, code 5(0x640005) Operation has completed with errors. The image will verify and restore without further error messages.

This happens if backing up online or when using F11 to do it standalone.

I've (just) submitted this to Acronis, no reply yet.

23. Acronis Support

Hello ssj152,

Please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter to Acronis Support Team. I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you
    --
    Irina Shirokova

24. Acronis Support

Hello thebigdintx,

Please contact me via PM, please click on the "Acronis Support" in the head of any of my replies and choose "Send a private message to Acronis Support" item. I will provide you with Acronis True Image 8.0, if the problem remains with this version in that case the problem is related to the Windows USB drivers.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

25. Menorcaman

Hello Irina,

Please see thebigdintx's post at #44 above. As the problem also seems to manifests itself when imaging and restoring from the Linux boot rescue environment (7 seconds to verify an image cannot be correct!!), I'm not sure I understand your reference to Windows drivers.

Kind regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.