Version 3 worthwhile?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jongie, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jongie

jongie Registered Member

I've used earlier versions of NOD32 for years - currently on 2.7. What advantages has version 3, and is it now "stable" (in WinXP)?

Regards

John

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Version 3 is being developed whereas Version 2 is not.
    I would recommend trying version 3. You can always go back to version 2.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes .

4. jongie

jongie Registered Member

Thanks for the help. Installed over 2.7 with no issues.

However there is one puzzle. I use an uncommon email client - Forte Agent. I have two "instances" of this - one for my regular email provider and one for a secondary - gmail.

Messages received via my regular email are tagged as having been checked by NOD32. Those collected via gmail are not. I have added agent.exe (Agent's exe file) to the mail client list. Any ideas why the gmail is not apparently being scanned? (It is received as POP3 by the way).

I also notice that outgoing messages are not tagged either, from regular provider or from gmail (although I have set NOD32 to do so).

I appreciate that this is possibly a Forte Agent issue, so I'll post in one of its forums too.

However it would be nice if ESET could allow full compatibilty with all email clients. Some years ago I used NAV (Ugh!!) and that *did* allow full compatibility with Agent.

Regards

John

5. Sir George

Sir George Registered Member

That's your opinion, but there are still many people having issues with Version 3.x.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

There are people who will have problems with any Av product version on any OS. But for the vast majority HiTech boy is probably correct. You read the posts in the forums and the responses of the Eset staff and at some point in time make your own call as to whether the program is stable enough. For me it was a long wait, but took the plunge witn V3.0.650.0. Oh, and thats my opinion. ;)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello John,

Don't know that one can mention too many advantages concerning ver 3 in comparison to 2.7. However, that in no way is a negative to ver 3 but more a positve in regards to how well of an end product the Eset programmers\developers dished out. There are only a few positives that caused me to stay with 3 once I changed from 2.7 and some were very minor reasons....proxy server filtering instead of IMON's use of the Winsock, somewhat better looking GUI and quite honestly that's about all. Both 2.7 and 3.0 have been rock solid here. As for "stable", each and every box I have it installed on has been stable on Win2K and XP. I can't say that was from day one but once Eset got many of the quirks ironed out, it has served my purposes and those family\friends I have recommended it to very well.

Bubba

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Page 4 of the Eset NOD32 Antivirus 3.0 user guide lists several improvements.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Actually , not . GMail uses encryption , different port than 110 . That is why its traffic is not being scanned by the mail scanner and therefore email messages are not tagged . Your regular email (you call it so) uses POP3/port 110 and that is why it is scanned by the mail scanner and tagged.

ESET NOD32 3.0 and ESET Smart Security don't scan outgoing email (SMTP traffic) . Outgoing mail can be scanned if there is integration between a mail client and the program. The reason is that no infected email and traffic can be generated if your real-time protection is active

You don't have to worry about anything . GMail uses its own antivirus and antispam rules so it won't deliver threats to your inbox . Even though its traffic may not be scanned by the email scanner , the real-time protection will scan your attachments as long as they are accessed/saved/created , etc... The real-time protection will prevent you from being infected and send infected mails/spam , etc.

10. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Do you still believe it is such a big problem and there are no workarounds for it which you can use ?

12. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Do you still believe it's a trivial matter, and that everyone is happy to use the workarounds?

In any case, I was simply alerting a fellow poster to the potential problems he might run into with version 3. Why the defensiveness?

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I am not defensive . Just trying to say that it is not such a big problem as some people make it . There is a one small issue , people make it huge problem . I'll stop posting about it here (since it is off-topic) . Anyone (including you , solcroft) feel free to PM me and continue "the discussion" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.