Verizon moving mail to AOL

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by act8192, Mar 11, 2017.

1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Pays to sometimes review your junk mail. I got two notifications about the move of verizon.net account over to AOL. By April 7 I have to kill the account or move. Haven't decided yet.
    Here's some information which explains it better than their email:
    https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-faq
    If move, passwords in Outlook, SeaMonkey, Thundirbird ... clients will need to change.
    If not move, than whatever sites/vendors use it will need to be notified I suppose.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

AOL Mail is free and the interface is good.

On a par with e-mail clients.

3. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

This is the first I've heard about this. This really sucks since my main email is Verizon.net and I have 95% of emails going to that address. I wonder if Verizon will deduct some money from my Verizon Fios bill since they are dropping the email service? (yeah, dream on).
    @act8192 I haven't received any notices yet, not even in the spam folder on all Verizon Accounts.

4. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Verizon moved my email to AOL about this time last year. I think AOL offered a short time of free support to former Verizon email subscribers to get everyone moved over, and then began charging for tech support if you aren't a paying AOL customer. Not long after that Verizon sold our land line phone service and DSL service to Frontier. Frontier makes me wish I had Verizon back, believe it or not. You do get to keep your Verizon.net email address.

5. ProTruckDriver

So I don't have to change any emails, like registering on forums, banks that I belong to etc? The whole email address will remain the same (Verizon.net) but will be on an AOL account?

6. NormanF

Yes, your e-mail address will remain the same unless you also want to sign up for an AOL Mail account.

Verizon.net is basically being hosted on AOL servers; everything else remains the same as before.

7. itman

itman Registered Member

Except my bank won't accept an AOL email address for security notifications citing their email is insecure:eek:

8. ProTruckDriver

My first email accounts were AOL almost 20 years ago and I still have the accounts. I truthfully don't know if I trust AOL anymore. On one of my accounts with AOL all my filed over 200 important emails were deleted, not to be found. Yes I kept the account open and logged in about every 60 days to the account to view any emails. This is very disappointing. I was tired of all the advertisements on AOL, yes some show up even with an adblocker enabled and that stupid voice "You've Got Mail".

9. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I wanted to retain my verizon mail address and did. Otherwise I'd have some issues with places which don't accept AOL and I didn't feel like changing things anyway.
    Mails got transfered just fine from verizon server.
    The AOL mail reached through a browser (webmail) is dreadful. Ads all over the place (anyone for System Mechanic on exiting?). Spacing between mails is huge. Opt out from ads instructions are ridiculous.
    But no ads in a decent client (Outlook, Thunderbird ...) of course.
    I had one problem with T-bird, (T-bird is new for me): it insisted on setting POP3 job because they look up verizon server names and ports, but there was a way to set to IMAP.aol.com and works fine.

10. ProTruckDriver

I just received my notice today from Verizon Email. Move it or lose it. :(

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 1.08.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 1.09.31 PM.png

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've been using a regular paid AOL email account for years. ZERO problems

12. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

^ ditto I rarely use it. But, it is still handy to have.

13. ProTruckDriver

I'm finished moving my important files in all of the Verizon email accounts to another email provider (to be my main email provider now, not AOL). The less important and the emails I couldn't change I went the AOL way. I'm glad I transferred my important files to other than AOL. I don't see any problems but way too many ads on AOL even with an adblocker. I'll check AOL only about once a week for emails.

14. NormanF

The mail interface is ad-free.

I can understand the ad support on the main screen because maintaining the mail servers costs money even if the service is free.

Incidentally, AOL mail servers are compatible with external e-mail clients like Thunderbird.

15. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Does it still say You Got Mail?:)

I have used Verizon for years and didn't even know they had a mail service.

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

So the address will still be at Verizon.net? But the interface will be AOL? Otherwise what is meant by "keep your verizon.net email address"?

17. NormanF

You'll be allowed keep your Verizon.net e-mail address but you will be receiving all future in-coming mail at your new AOL Mail account.

18. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Verizon, as I understand it, actually now owns AOL. You keep your verizon account name on your verizon email address as in username@verizon.net which becomes your AOL email username. By selecting the option, keep verizon email address, all you have to do is create a new password and tell them who you are at AOL, and all of your email folders, contacts, etc are moved over for you and then all you do is just sign in to AOL email using your verizon.net email address as your AOL email username, and type in your new AOL email account password - and you are off and running nearly identically (but not the same) email interface as verizon email had.

-- Tom

P.S. The deadline to change is by April 18, 2017 - I assume that means - DO IT BEFORE April 18th!!!

19. NormanF

The changeover will happen automatically and Verizon users can also choose another e-mail provider if they want.

20. ProTruckDriver

Yep, it sure does. Where do you go in AOL to turn that Nag Off?

21. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Options > Mail Settings > General
    278.png

23. ProTruckDriver

Thanks bjm_ This is weird. I turned off "You've Got Mail" on 1 account and it turned all the other accounts off too. o_O

24. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The changeover WILL NOT HAPPEN AUTOMATICALLY if you do not choose to select the option to Keep Verizon.net email address!!!

You must select the option to Keep Verizon.net email address or you will lose all of your verizon.net email by default!!!

-- Tom

25. ProTruckDriver

I maybe stopping my Verizon services. I still have some email accounts when I changed over to Verizon (AOL) Account. Does anyone know if I quit Verizon services (Fios) do I lose the Verizon email (AOL) accounts too?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.