Verifying snapshots in version 205

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I noticed that in version 205 the "verifying snapshots" statement that FDISR gives you after it creates a snapshot or an archive either doesn't work sometimes or appears to skip over this important step if I have it enabled to do so. I'm using the raxco 205 patch. Anyone else notice the difference between version 202 and 205 like I have? I'm wondering if they either sped up the process and it doesn't appear to verify or it's not verifying and it's a bug. In the error logs at the bottom of each snapshot creation I see no evidence of an error but no entry that it is verifying the snapshot either. I'm looking for the statement that it is verifying the snapshot and it goes about "indexing" which I dont' see it do now in a consistent manner compared to the previous 202 version. After every copy update either to a snapshot or archive the software would index the snapshot to verify it. Now it doesn't do that every time or does it but the indexing takes only 1 second and doesn't seem to fully index it like version 202 did. Why the change?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When an archive is involved, I think that FDISR doesn't verify, otherwise FDISR does the verification. I'm not 100% sure.
    I hardly pay attention to this anymore, but my verify is ON.
    Once I start the copy/update, I usually do something else.

3. Horus37

Well I watch during the whole creation and then go do something else then watch it as it completes and have noticed a difference now. I hope it's not because I have the 205 patch instead of the full 205 version.

4. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Hi,

You can get a full install of 205 from Raxco if that is where you bought FD-ISR. They just sent me a temporary ink for a full installer, after, contacting support online.

They sure don't give you much time to download. If you were away for a few days or didn't check your e-mail , till after the link expired, contacting support was a waste of time. The link is good for about 48 hours. They said to save it
    to permanent media, because, that is it for FD-ISR. It is gone for good.

Happy Holidays,

Daniel

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's what I did also and it works. Instead of having two installation files, I have now one of the very last complete build : v3.21.205 and WinXPproSP2.
    If this version is still compatible with winVISTA after 5 years, I can use FDISR another 5 years, but I don't count on it.
    As soon I find another equal and preferable a better solution within 5 years, I ditch FDISR myself.

6. Horus37

Well I would like confirmation about which company's programmers came up with the programming of the patch for version 205. Was it leapfrogs or HDS? And I'd like to know if the patch versus ther full build solves the inconsistent indexing issue that verify's the integrity of the copy/update task. You could plainly see the verify process with version 202 but the new version 205 seems to skip it or only do it inconsistently. Yes I have the box checked to verify in the options setting. I'd like more people to verify this. If this is an issue with the patch I"ll have to get the full install build and see if it also does this behavior.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  7. Horus37

Well I received and email from support at raxco that because my system ram has increased that the VERIFY indexing function might just work so fast I can't see it sometimes. Strange answer. The indexing works slowly most of the time or not at all after creation of snapshot. I upgraded from 1 to 2 gigs, and also upgraded from 202 to 205 with a patch. I'm going to do some more testing to see if I can pinpoint what is causing the indexing issue.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Can I just clear something up Horus, when you talk about indexing are you talking about the indexing that you see on the gui after you press copy update, say from primary to secondary, or are you talking about something which happens afterwards?

The reason I ask is, because of reading your post I looked at what it did and said after I pressed the copy button. Mine does the indexing twice before it copies the files.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Exactly. The two indexing are exactly what should happen. One of the beauties of going to archives instead, is you only have one indexing pass. Faster.

Pete

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for that info Peter, never noticed it only did it once for archives.:)

11. Peter2150

I never update snapshots anymore. I just use the archives.

12. Horus37

Well I just created a new offline archive to a usb harddrive from a snapshot and it did NOT verify either before or after the creation of said new archive. The verify option is ticked to do so and I noticed that it seems that is happens haphazardly. One time creating an archive, the verify will work, the next it won't. If I create a new snapshot from an offline usb archive it gives me one verify pass after the new snapshot. I'll keep testing...

13. Peter2150

Just curious why you are testing that. I've never verified and never had a problem. Secondly, I don't think there will be any more updates regardless.

14. Horus37

I'm just curious since I seem to notice a difference. I run a program that interferes with FDISR if you don't disable it so I constantly look for errors after a snapshot is created. When I see it skip over the verify process or do it partially I get concerned that something has changed from the last version. I'm trying to determine if it's good or bad. If it's quicker great. If it's just plain skipping the verify that's something else. Did HDS build the patch for 205 or did it come from leapfrog? I seem to recall HDS was the first one to have 205 and then later raxco. I'm just assuming that HDS programmers did the patch and I'd like to know for sure one way or the other. Seeing how HDS gutted FDISR and then dropped it I'm not too keen on HDS doing my patches if that's what happened. I can put in an email to see for sure.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.