Verify the IP address of the Updater service

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Big_Z, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Z

Big_Z Registered Member

A virus changed the settings on my computer and modem so that when I tried to update any of my security programs, the softwares' updaters were secretly re-directed to various malicious sites. This re-direction occurred even though the information in my firewall's "Allow/Block" pop-up SEEMED to be correct. I discovered the re-directions by checking the IP ADDRESS displayed in the firewall pop-up at a WHOIS registry website. I could not eradicate the virus and/or rehabilitate the settings, so I had to re-install Windows. Unfortunately, I had to do it from the hard-drive's re-installation section, rather than from an installation CD. Therefore, I cannot be 100% certain that there will be no recurrence.

I would like to verify that the destination address for Spywareblaster's Updater is correct before I update.

My firewall's "Allow/block" pop-up declared it to be "108.161.189.192". The WHOIS
    website identified it as belonging to NetDNA.com, which is merely a content delivery network.

On another occasion, the stated address was the name "s3-1-w.amazonaws.com".

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

We use a balanced network of servers and CDNs to distribute updates. So the IP address may vary based on: your location, your ISP, the time of day, the day of the week, and many other factors.

(It looks like your firewall is not displaying the main addresses, but rather the resulting servers/CDNs we use. Since the server you are directed to varies, there is unfortunately no easy way for me to provide you with the "correct" address. That said, both of the ones you specified are networks we currently use.)

Best regards.

3. Big_Z

Big_Z Registered Member

Dear Moderator,

Thank-you very much for that well thought out and clear answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.