VeraCrypt + WinRAR

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Snoper, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Snoper

Snoper Registered Member

My situation: I create containter in VeraCrypt encrypted by AES-Twofish-Serpent with Whirpool. I put my data in here and then I split the container using WinRAR into smaller pieces without compression (for example 2 GB containter into 4 500 Mb files). I also set password for the RAR which is different from the password I set for the container. My question is: What are advantages/disadvantages? Is it bad? Can I keep doing that? Is it more or less safe than just storing original containter? Please don't mention that this is slow and not necessary - I already know that. I just want to know if this is less safe.

Edit: I forgot to mention one important thing. I split my container because I need to upload that original container into cloud that has a limit for individual files.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I have been auto-spanning large files for many years and never had any issues. Any time you perform a mathematical function on any file there is always a chance for something to go wrong. I can only say in my case it never bit me in the rear! You use the term split while my term is file spanning. In my case when I do saves of large files on FAT32 filesystems for archives it requires anything over 4 Gig to be split/spanned. I personally prefer MacriumPro to WinRAR but they both have great track records. You might consider that IF you are backing up a closed VC container, even if spanning/splitting the resultant output, it is unnecessary to encrypt the WinRAR because the container itself is encrypted. So, in summary spanning creates an extra step in each direction, but the end result will be perfect if done correctly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.