Veracrypt volume mounts but doesnt open - WinHex help needed

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Cryptonoob, Nov 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptonoob

Cryptonoob Registered Member

Hi everyone, this forum seems incredibly knowledgeable, and I think my problem is fixable. Dantz, im looking at you :)

So recently my Veracrypt volume (file) has become corrupted and is now a RAW file. I am still able to mount it successfully, but when I try to access it says the file is not supported and tries to format, etc.

Following an old thread by Dantz I used Winhex on the drive when it is mounted and am pretty sure it decrypts properly as I can see text strings of the data. However, attempting to create a new partition to recover the partition tables I am stuck. Using the offset point of 1048576 does not create a usable volume, saying there is an issue when trying to decrypt.

At this point, I need a way to recognize when the Veracypt header starts in the string of numbers, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Seeing the text strings has me hopeful that the data is not lost.

2. Cryptonoob

Cryptonoob Registered Member

Nevermind - after a further deep dive in Dantz's threads I found that all I needed to do was use data recovery software on the mounted partition. Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.