VeraCrypt partially corrupted Master File Table(s)

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by geohei, Apr 7, 2022.

1. geohei

geohei Registered Member

The subject might be similar, but the problem as such is not the same.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...ble-volume-file-system-not-accessible.443563/

- If I say "corrupt", I don't know if the data I see is trash or encrypted.
    - If I say "TrueCrypt" (TC), it might be VeryCrypt (CV) - not relevant for this problem.

The disk:
    - External using USB bay
    - Size 300 GB
    - 1 NTFS partition (no hidden partition)
    - Encrypted with TC back in 2008
    - Password and keyfile are present - partition mounts correctly
    - I did a dd image to experiment

The problem:
    After mounting. the partition, I see checked the 2 MFTs
    0x0000000030 : 0x00000C000000000049F52E0200000000
    MFT : 0x00C0000000 : first 16 sectors are corrupt
    MFT Mirror : 0x22ef549000 : first 8 sectors are corrupt
    After the corrupted sectors, I see FILE0 entries (correct MFT data) at the 0x1000 boundaries.

Trying to access the mounted partition via Windows Explorer, I get:
    "The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

Windows Event Log confirms the trouble:
    The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x1000000000000. The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>".

How it probably happened:
    After initially putting the disk (after years) into the USB bay (TC mount as r/w), I was able to verify all (!) stored files since I have an md5sum file of the entire disk. No, I didn't read/copy the data, just read/verified the data (#*%$§& !!!). But then, I probably (not sure ?!) didn't TC dismount properly, or (?!) I ejected the disk prior TC dismount. A subsequent mount showed the NTFS errors above.

What I then did:
    Since could not rely on MFT data, I wrote some C code to check for the cluster starts (0x1000 boundaries). I only have 3 filetypes. .iso, .gz and .tgz on the disk. Scanning the entire disk, I managed to recover >50%. Data integrity could be guaranteed due md5 checksums. >50% is already very good, but I need all (important data)! I don't give up until all possibilities are exhausted.

What I believe:
    I think that only the MFT is corrupted. Some files however show bad md5s, which is confirmed for .tgz files by "tar -tzf <file> > /dev/null". This could be due fragmentation since my restoration binary assumes contiguous sectors.

Questions:
    1. What I really don't get is, how the beginning of both MFTs could become corrupted, while the data payload seems intact.
    2. Is there a possibility to scan the entire disk in order to "rebuild/repair" the MFT. If there is no tool, I can code it myself, but first I need to know by principle whether it's feasible or not.
    3. Some of the files seem to be non-contiguous. Is the MFT the only place on the partition where details about file fragments are stored?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.