(VeraCrypt) Encrypted? files after successful search for unlocked partition.

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by kakei, May 13, 2022.

1. kakei

kakei Registered Member

Good day!

At first I would like to express my gratefulness for all the help I was able to find on the forum with previous thread and especially Dantz's help with his brilliant solutions.

Apparently... I expected a problem.

First of all: During reinstallation of Windows 10 from the USB image I accidentally deleted partition on a disk with VeraCrypt data, I did not format it or do anything else, but after Win installation (other disk), disk image creation with DMDE and searching for first data signatures with HxD (Offset: 7E0000) I copied the first 3F0 offset data and saved it as a header (the same with last data signatures).

I was able to restore a header on a backup file and succesfully mount the volume. While I left some space and quick-formatted it as a NTFS filesystem (from RAW) I succesfully found files within their original directories and Lost&Found directory.

Some files are working flawlessly and are decrypted, but unfortunately most of them (about 90%) are encrypted (or damaged?). Hex-edit of these doesn't even show header of JPG, EXE and other extension files, they do look like encrypted data from before mounting the volume. I tried editing them, connecting to VeraCrypt, but nothing works. There are just some original directories, filenames (every file name was decrypted).

I would dig deeper into the Internet for answers, but due to work I cannot do more research.
    Data restoration/decryption services are not an option. There are lots of important data.
    Any software recommendations are good, but please no advertisements.

Some info:
    Partiton disk: WDC WD5000AAKX 500gb (462 gb used out of 465), NTFS filesystem. Always the same drive letter.
    Veracrypt: Whole non-system partition encryption with Kuznyechik(AES), mounted always on the same letter, key-file used, no restoration disk, could not find backup header on the end of the disk.
    Disk image: *.bin, whole drive clone.

Thank you for your interest in the thread!
    Wish you a great day,
    Mr. Kake:i

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.