Vcore queries

Discussion in 'hardware' started by djg05, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am getting random freeze ups on a Linux machine. Thought at first it might be the CPU overheating. It was running at 49 deg C which is a bit high, so have remounted the heat sink using Artic Silver. However whilst looking in the BIOS I noticed that the VCore was varying from around 1.77 to 1.85. the setting was on default so set it manually to 1.8 but it still fluctuates - expected really.

Would like to know if this is normal or whether this giving rise to the lock ups?

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Is it intel ? Vcore voltage is much too high,normally its between 1,1 and 1,3 at max. Did you did some tweaking or OC,if done from CMOS then set everything to default in your Bios. Hope this helps.

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

It is an old m/c. AMD 1333. Have not tweaked it at all. All I did was to set the VCore to the mid range of what it was showing.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I think that vcore is a bit high. What is your exact processor? You can search google and try find the default vcore.

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

do you know the specific model of the chip you have? i think thats high but if i know what kind of amd it is i can find out for you

6. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Both

AMD Athlon XP 1333

7. zfactor

is it overclocked? and what is themultiplier set to?? my freind said he used to run his overclocked and he set the vcore to 1.8 ...but stock should be a bit less. seems like maybe your motherboard could have a sort of vdroop issue there.. he asked what kind of mobo you have?

8. zfactor

stock vcore is 1.65

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

No, not overclocked. Only looked in the BIOS because of the lock ups, but since bedding in the heat sink and setting the voltage it has been running for around 4 hours.

The board is a Jetway V266B. It was a cheap one to keep my Wife's m/c working.

10. zfactor

can you manually adjust the vcore with that mobo?.. i am being told up to 1.8 is fine for it but it may lock up or bsod if streesed at times.. i would set it to 1.65 or around there if possible then you can go up from there if you need to

11. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Yes it is possible to set the VCore. However 1.65 is too low since it would not boot again. I have set it back to defaults.

The original query was whether the variation in VCore matters?

12. zfactor

i was told up to 1.8 you will be fine with no problems. over that and you start running it at a bit to much if its only hitting 1.85 for very short times you will prob be okay.. as long as its not running there for long periods. at least thats what i was told. and this guy knows his amd stuff...he used to work for them

13. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for all the trouble you have taken answering this.

Yes it cycles 1.77 to 1.85 over a few seconds.

14. zfactor

he said you will be fine with it

15. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

16. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks All

Seems to be running steady for now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.