VBA32 update today.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SDS909, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Anyone else notice after todays VBA32 update, they removed how many definitions are in their database? It was about ready to hit 200,000, then it seems to be gone.

WTF?

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

what purpose does the amount of definitions serve for you ?

lets take an example
    dr.web and win32.hllw.mybot based
    with a good definition like the above drweb is able to detect thousands of new variants of spy/sd/r/etc- bot families without any updates, helped by its very good unpacking engine of course

scanner b on the other hand would need a definition for each new variant

lets take kaspersky and backdoor.r-bot.gen
    its the same thing as the above example, a generic signature detecting literally thousands of variants, with the added bonus of kaspersky's superior unpacking

does scanner b with its 3000 different r-bot definitions protect you better ?

of course same thing applies to VBA, it is very good in variant detection so the number of signatures is just unimportant, although there may be a reason for it too ( i'm sure that the VBA guys who are members of this forum will tell if there is ;) )

3. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

The purpose is, I want to see them. Good enough? If they don't come back, I will uninstall it and run something else.

There really isn't anything to debate here, I am sorry to disappoint you.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But since they have taken this information off the main Settings Windows maybe they could consider placing it on their Home Web-page?

This new version, 3.11.0, has improved the GUI of the scanner BUT on my system the on-demand scanner has become even slower (default settings of ALL files). Maybe more unpackers?

But using the "Scan standard file type set" is a lot faster, about 4X faster than the ALL file setting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I believe that is the slowdown, because according to the "what's new file" seems to be the only thing that might make a negative effect. Also with the new BETA version my memory usage of the RTM is about 1.5X higher anyone else notice this?

6. Blackcat

Although Home site still has v.3.10.5 as the latest version, 3.11.0 is now out of beta. At least that's what it says on my main GUI o_O

And yes the RTM is taking up more memory here but it still has no effect on system performance.

Attached Files:

7. Blackcat

I have not used this laptop for awhile and apparently v.3.11.0 came out a couple of weeks ago.

What's new;

Is this a new beta, after v.3.11.0?

Attached Files:

8. Siarheika

Siarheika AV Expert

Since version 3.11.0 the number of virus definitions counter was removed.

We will try briefly to explain here the reasons for such removal.

When updating virus definitions database there are two concurrent tasks:
    1. addition of new definitions (this task increases virus definitions counter)
    2. optimization of existing definitions, replacing some groups of them
    (mostly modifications of the same malware) with so called generic definitions (this task decreases the virus definitions counter, but it does not affect the quality of detection and the quantity of detected viruses)

As the number of modifications of the same malware increases, the use of generic definitions becomes more suitable to detect all of them without adding every singe modification to the database separately.

Sometimes after major virus database optimization, the virus definitions counter even decreases and attentive users who watch the counter and notice the decrease start asking questions whether it is normal or not.

So we have decided to remove the counter as it does not reflect the real number of malware detected by our scanner. Once more, the removal does not affect the detection quality and the number of detected viruses. You can always use the date of the latest update to check whether your copy of VBA32 is up to date.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

9. Blackcat

Support continues to be excellent and very fast responding :thumb:

10. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Then perhaps including an OPTION to have it there? Or on your web page, even a reasonably strong estimate would suit me fine. I understand why you removed them, but I don't agree with it, as it is something I monitor on any AV I run.

This news is most disappointing to say the least.

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I was going by the ftp, as I am trialing KAV6 on my laptop, I am using VBA32 3.11.0 on one of my stand alone WS at work, I thought it was the beta the other day. But when I looked at the FTP today I see that they updated the Release version to 3.11.0. They also updated it on their webpage to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.