VBA32 3.11.1 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dan_maran, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I guess all of the VBA32 beta guys would notice, the version has just been upgraded to 3.11.1

Here is what we can harvest from the translation:
    So I can already see problems, now I can't seem to skin my VBA32 anymore worked fine until reboot after the initial install reboot.

//EDIT//
    I upped the actual whatsnew.win so maybe some of our russian members may be better able to Xlate.
    Here

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2006
  2. GoD

GoD Registered Member

i am wondering how often does VBA32 update its signatures..
    i have decided to beta test vba32 and noticed for the last couple of days it keeps saying that my software is up to date and doesnt download anything.. last i remember it downloaded the 3.11.1 BETA and that was all.

am i doing something wrong or they dont send out updates for a couple of days ?

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I experienced an automatic update problem with beta (Win XP Pro). It seemed to refuse to update without user interaction.
    Manaul updates, which worked fine, were required.
    I sent a report to Dimitry, he responded with request for more info.
    Sent him additional data on 20th. Haven't heard back yet.
    Will post back here with response should/when I receive.

4. GoD

GoD Registered Member

thanks for the reply looking forward for that report.

some questions though.. do u get any error when it refuses to update or it just tells u that ur program is up to date ?

i switched back to 3.11.0 to keep an eye on how often the server are updated.. 3 hrs after install and no updates yet.

how often to they add signatures to vba32 ?
    ----
    One last question please... how do i perform a manual update ? any instructions on how to do so... any forums for vba32 ?

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

No error. It just doesn't update automatically. Also, Update Log shows no attempt to update. Manual updates are appended to log, though.

What do you have your Update Time Interval set to?

Can't answer that for certain, but as I understand the log here, I've received 4 db updates today. I have time interval set to check every 2 hrs (This is on NON BETA program). I think (?) that log will report something like "program is up to date" if a 'scheduled update' can find no updates more current.

Right click on Tasbar icon / Update or...
    Open up Main Screen (Vba32 Loader) / Additional tab / Update button.
    Also In the Additional tab, under 'Report File', click the 'Show' button. This will open up the Vba32Ldr.log showing all your Monitor Load and Update status.

I wish. Send their support a suggestion (I did).

cheers

6. dan_maran

You are using this address to updatethe beta right?
    ftp://open.by/vba/beta/update/

I rec'd 2 updates today, when I checked manually.
    I only use the command line and not the GUI version.

7. GoD

GoD Registered Member

I was using this address for the beta updates :/
    http://www.anti-virus.by/beta/update/

@Bob D and @likuidkewl

Thank you very much for ur reply u guys did answer lots of questions for me. got the basics and i shall now enjoy testing vba32...
    does the beta version contain less signatures than the stable version ? i mean signature wise does the stable version offer more protection ?

PS: what does the "Interactive" box do under updates ?
    Cheers

8. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I believe not. Per Vba: "The only difference from production releases is that beta versions contain some new algorithms and are a bit less tested".

Turn it on and find out. You'll see a screen come up after updates have been downloaded, and it prompts you to install them. It's handy if you wish to physically see/monitor updating progress/frequency w/o referring to Monitor/Additional/Update "Last" and "Next" times, or opening the log file.

9. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Has Aanyone come up with a way, beta or not, to get VBAs ram usage down? It has gone from one of the lightest AVs to one of the heaviest. It now uses a lot of ram (around 49 meg) an slows my system down. Also, if there a download link for the beta?

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Beta and non-beta mem usage here a not unreasonable 38 MB (private bytes).
    Working set about 45 MB.
    CPU, mem shoots WAY up when scanning, and briefly when first opening apps (subsequent opening of same apps, everything settles down).
    Monitor/Object scan settings change from "scan all file types" to "scan standard file types set" helps a bit. "Process only new files" should help even more.

Beta link: http://www.anti-virus.by/en/beta.html
    All you should need is the Beta Key, and change update path per instructions.

11. GoD

GoD Registered Member

what bothers me is the CPU usage when scanning a file.. this should be looked into. sent them an email already.

Aside from that it seems to be an easy to use product so far..

12. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

CPU usage during scanning doesn't really bother me much.
    (Although it can indicate poorly written code in some instances.)
    Typically I'm only manually scanning a single file from download, which takes but a couple seconds.
    Full system scans, done but every month or so, are usually done while I'm preoccupied elsewhere (not at the puter), out at the bar, mowing the lawn, out at the bar, changing oil, out at the bar....
    Just as well, as it's scan times are Slooowwwww. If scan speeds are a primary concern, I'd advise anybody to pass on Vba.
    I DO notice a brief CPU spike the first time an application is launched. As I mentioned earlier, the next time same app is launched, Vba's CPU usage is down. Curious. This does delay initial app launches a couple seconds. Bear in mind, though, I have all settings @ max. 'scan all files types', 'thorough mode'.
    I like it. No extraneous buzzers, bells, whistles. It does everything I need it to do. Not many included uneeded / extraneous extra features which detract from it's spartan functionality. Reminds me a bit of Antivir. Options, but not too many, just enough.

Cheers

13. dan_maran

Whats new:

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Likuidkewl,

Is this your "Process only new files" problem fixed ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.