VBA 32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the insider, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the insider

the insider Registered Member

I tried it and I like it but is it worth keeping ? Any suggestions ?:doubt:

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

You can always do a search for vba32, BlackCat and myself like the program still needs some refinements but they are very willing to listen to customers, being a small vendor makes it a little easier.

Some dislike its memory consumption around 50-55mb, but this is not that bad IMO. System impact is the most important to me and a few here. There are some tweaks to get it "screaming".

The new Beta has some nice improvements coming along that may be worth your while also.

As always it is up to you what works best for your system(s). :)

Have a look here for the improvements coming in 3.12.0 -
    http://vba32.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=106

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Advantages; With the "Process only new file setting" probably the lightest AV that I have used in real-time; IME, even faster than Dr Web's SpIDerGuard. And they have just introduced a "background scanner" in the present beta to support this "smart" setting. As likuidkewl has already stated, they are a very small AV vendor who are relatively new to the "English Market" but support is superb both on their forum and from VirusBlockAda themselves. They are very open to suggestions. Further, VBA32 has very strong heuristics and the it is very stable; updates are also very small and incremental.

Drawbacks; slow on-demand scanner; probably a few more false positives than other scanners but these are generally easy to identify as such; overall malware detection probably less than other vendors. If you are a safe surfer, I would recommend this AV as a primary scanner as it offers an excellent balance between performance and protection. Probably not in the first tier of AV scanners but they are trying hard and if they can reach the 85% level in av-comparatives they will receive all the missed samples.

We should support the small AV vendor both in purchasing a license and in sending them new malware samples. Likuidkewl has been a great help to them in this respect.

If you like VBA32 and it has no effect on system performance then do think of supporting one of the underdogs of the AV world.

4. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

And maybe overall detection is understandarts but it never let me infected.

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I took advantage of multiple license discount.
    Even the kids' puters have remained clean! (And their behavior scares the hell out of me sometimes.)
    It ain't pretty, but I like their 'substance over style' approach.

6. Blackcat

New background scanner and another user who has remained malware-free with VBA32 :thumb:

Attached Files:

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

can you use those options on windows ME?
    are they only available in the new beta?
    im testing vba32 on windows ME atm you see.

lodore

8. dan_maran

You need to install vba32 beta 3.11.2-beta and then update it, it is around 15mb.

FTP://open.by/vba/beta/vba32workstation-3.11.2-beta-english.msi

Remember to uninstall the release version or you will see the message stating you are trying to upgrade to an older version. ;)

Also don't forget to do a custom installation and add all the components you want.

If you plan on doing a few installs it might behoove you to download the VBA32 install tuner from here also:
    ftp://open.by/vba/vba32-installtuner-1.0.9-english.zip

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

do i have to update it to get the new options?
    lodore

10. dan_maran

Yes, the new installers are not out yet.

They seem to like waiting until almost a RC stage before they release installers, haven't figured that one out yet. o_O

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

fair enough
    lodore

12. dan_maran

13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

After reading this thread, VBA32 looks very promising to me, and is rapidly climbing to the top of my test list. Slow on-demand is really not a disadvantage, if detection is alright. FPs are reallly not an issue with me, and those 50 megs or RAM are irrelevant if the resident AV doesn't afect your overall system performance. Control of CPU usage for background scanner is a nice feature also, if I saw correctly on one of the screenshots. Nice. Seems like another great competitor is on the market. This one could be a keeper IMO.

14. dan_maran

Detection is alright, and they are constantly working the issue from user submissions. Since they did not score above 85% on the last (last year's) AV-Comp test they didn't receive the missed samples, I don't know if it is the same for AV-Test.org, I assume so. Thus the detection for Zoo malware is lower than the norm, but the last ITW test by AV-Test they scored 100%.

To be honest I have been using VBA32 for about 2 years and have had maybe 5-10 FP's the entire time.

As for the ram usage if dialed in as above you will see a monster speed increase.

And yes the background scanner can be fine tuned and tweaked as you stated.

15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello likuidkewl.

I've been a NOD user for almost a year now and I use it on my main rig. I believe it's renowned for its exceptional performance. But I have two machines besides that one, so I'll be needing another AV, and this one drew my attention lately. I know that the amount uf used RAM is directly related to system performance, that is, the more RAM an application uses, the faster it will perform in real-time. So I really believe that the priority of VBAs developers was system performance and hence the RAM usage. Real-time performance of an app can't really be accomplished without any expense, and in case of VBA it's done by utilizing RAM. But, 50megs is not a problem really with my machines, for a decent AV it's nothing.

Regards.

EDIT: as for detection, I feel pretty much secure even inside the 85% margin.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  16. the insider

the insider Registered Member

17. dan_maran

When you register at the forum you also get random emails, around 1 a month, with a license key attached :)

Also with the latest version of the beta there are new options for the on demand scanner.
    http://xs413.xs.to/xs413/07101/iviewcapture_date_05_03_2007_time_09_42_21.jpg.xs.jpg

18. Durad

Durad Registered Member

VBA32 is very promissing software. I like their quarantine, its very powerfull.

Will they support Vista soon?

19. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Per VBA32 forum moderator (Nov '06):
    Obviously they are a little behind, but Vista support is in the works.
    Soon? Who knows...

20. dan_maran

If we don't hear anything in this thread about it, I will ask a contact.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  21. Blackcat

Never had one of these :isay:

22. dan_maran

Maybe look into your spam folder? I get them about once a month if I get another I will post about it.

23. Blackcat

Checked. Nothing in there :(

24. Mitya

Mitya Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your posts.

2 Durad and Bob D:
    We are working on releasing Vista-compatible Vba32: designing, developing, exploring, etc. I think the results of our efforts will be seen soon.

25. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Thank you Mitya.
    P.S.: Nice to see you over on this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.