VB100 October

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by webster, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Just to point out.. There is alot of other AV's / Firewalls that use less resources then that and are lighter on the system. But not to derail the topic I wont go any feather then that. ;)

2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

The WildList is really just the most basic way to test an AV. It is not updated really so it does not reflect the actual in-the-wild malware situation.
    The RAP test done by VB is much more interesting, definately worth paying attention.

3. xandros

xandros Registered Member

Fail: AhnLab V3Net (171 wildlist misses), Authentium Command (159 wildlist misses), Avira AntiVir Server (1 wildlist miss), Filseclab Twister (5655 wildlist misses, 1 false positive), Fortinet FortiClient (38 wildlist misses), Frisk F-PROT (159 wildlist misses), Ikarus virus.utilities (3759 wildlist misses, 4 false positives), Kingsoft I.S. 2009 Advanced (98 wildlist misses), Kingsoft I.S. 2009 Standard (2461 wildlist misses), Sophos Anti-Virus (1 wildlist miss), and VirusBuster for Servers (5 wildlist misses).

oh my god avira antivir premium or securityo_O fail

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why do people browse forums when they don't read the posts?

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've seen / wondered this myself :argh:

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

F-Prot's result was not as bad as the results seemed to indicate;

Frammi from Frisk explains ;

7. romance520

romance520 Registered Member

**********************************************************Kingsoft I.S. 2009 Advanced (98 wildlist misses), Kingsoft I.S. 2009 Standard (2461 wildlist misses),
    Anyone who use Kingsoft IS 2009 AD or Kingsoft IS 2009 SD?

Who can talk about the difference from them?

The engine? Or the virus pattern??

8. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

I totally agree with you.Could you give me the web page you related?

every vendors who take part in many complex tests just want to get a certificate of merit to appeal to people.If a vendor failed,it says nothing about the test.That will dust the eyes of users.

The founders of Twister are a couple of bothers.They are great.

Twister's behavior blocker is called Dynamic Host Defender.It seems to depend on whitelist and so on.What you are puzzled about is also what many people are puzzled about.Some people ask for Twister's staff.But they said they will change it and improve it in the future.Now it mainly depends on whitelist.Maybe we just can use it by knowledge now.

Anyway,the founders of Twister said they would pay all attentions on technology exploiting.That is a good information.I believe it will be better:) .

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

The main problem with all these tests from a users point of view is if the test shows their chosen av/suite in a favourable light then the test is valid and worthwhile,if it shows their chosen av.suite in a bad light then the test is obviously flawed and worthless!

10. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

How very true.:D

11. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Somewhere in the Twister section in here (i am sure you will find it faster than me using google translate):

http://www.ftfans.org/

Ah, i didn't know that! A family operation! Nice! I only know (by email) Mr. Bright Chu, who is a very nice person.

The FDDS i don't think is based on whitelisting. It is being triggered by certain actions. Then you get a pop up about suspicious activity which if you regard as false positive, you can whitelist. Anyway, they said they will improve it for v.8 and i think i read something about sandboxing, but not sure. I hope they release 64bit version soon after the x32.

Well i sure hope that it will be better! Twister is at its dawn of its development. They became a proper company registry from the chinese minstry only this year.

12. cqpreson

From the Chinese Forum,I only know Filseclab has a feature called Gene Pool.It makes for viruses' characteristic by staff of filseclab.It can detect some unknown viruses which have the same characteristic.But it seems to being testing.Maybe we can use it soon.

Another thing I found is that Filseclab don't support 64bit now.They said there was only few viruses running on 64bit.

13. Fuzzfas

Yes, that's under development hopefully for v.8 as Ftfans said in Twistee.org (the english speaking forum for Twister). In v7 this feature doesn't exist. Instead there is the FDDS, which is a behaviour blocker, albeit not as evoluted as one would wish (Threatfire for example is on another league). But FDDS is supposed to get improved considerably in v.8 too (so i was told by Mr. Bright Chu).

I know. Some months ago Mr. Chu said to me that v.8 will be only x32 compatible at first, although Win7 compatible. And after its release they will work for a x64 compatible version.

I think the main problem is that the main user audience of Twister is the chinese market. And probably there people aren't likely to do mass transition to Win 7 x64. So for Filseclab releasing a version that works on 64bit isn't a priority. Which is why i had to switch to Avast, since i now run Win7 x64.

14. cqpreson

What a pity.

I haven't used Twister.But its low price of lifetime appeals to me:D .What's the price of lifetime in your country?

In the past,I only used its firewall and hated it.It always didn't work.I am eager to use its v.8 firewall now.

I think Filseclab don't have a plan to enter the market of other countries.Now Chinese market is occupied by Rising and Kingsoft.Filseclab may want to govern Chinese market.And Filseclab like to center on technology.

15. Fuzzfas

It appealed to me too, that's why i got it! It's about 27 euros (VAT incl.) here. But i know that in China it's sold for much lower.

Well, they certainly haven't pushed to advertise themselves to EU or USA... It's understandable with 1.2 bln Chinese potential users, but it's a shame.

16. cqpreson

Yes,in china,it just costs 69 RMB,equaling 6.9 euros:) .

I think the reason why Filseclab haven't come to EU or US is that vendors in EU and US are powerful.When Filseclab has the same ability as the vendors,I believe Filseclab will come to EU and US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.