Variables to create filenames

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Robi, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robi

Robi Registered Member

Hallo there,

I have just installed TI enterprise server 9.1 build 3567. I have also installed
    on some of our w2k3 servers the windows agent. When I define a backup task, TI asks me about a filename to write the image. Since I wanna keep more than one version of my backup-images on the share, i'd like to define the filename as follows (as I would in DOS) eg:

servename-%date% (or something like that)

But this doesn't work. Does TI have some variables, which I could use to name backup-image files?

regards robi

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I don't think so, but that could be wrong.
    I run a post image .bat job to rename the newly created image adding the date to the name.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Would you mind posting a simple batch file that you could use to add the date (and or time) to the backup name. This is a simple solution to avoid ever having scheduled backups overwritten, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned here.

Thanks

4. TheWeaz

I use this utility:
    http://www.informatics-consulting.de/software/namedate.htm

I think there is a problem renaming the image if you also select the auto verify feature. TI will execute the post command to rename before the verify. Therefore, the file name it tries to verify no longer exists.

5. jmk94903

Well, that was quick.

Got it.

Thanks

6. TheWeaz

Margaritas haven't fully kicked in yet. :D

7. jmk94903

Glad I got to you beforehand.

Have a good weekend.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site.

As it was said before you can use batch file (script) which renames images as a pre\post-backup command.

In the pre\post commands fields of the backup archive creation options you can specify commands or batch files to be automatically executed before and after the backup procedure. You can use any commands supported by Windows command line interface or enter a path to the batch file written in terms of standard Windows scripting rules (see this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article for details).

Please also take a look at this previous post providing the example of a batch file automatically renaming backups in accordance with the current date.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. Robi

Robi Registered Member

I'll have a try with the above mentioned utility.
    Thanks for the answers.

regards robi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.