variables in backup name

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ld50, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ld50

ld50 Guest

can i use variables in the image file names?

for example, i would like to know if the full backup image names could include a date or a month name or something like that. likewise, the incrementals are for the same variable image file names.

this would allow me to keep multiple copies of monthly/incremental backups vs just the 1 monthly/incrementals set as seems to occur now.

so, for example:
    BACKUP_Jan
    BACKUP_Jan2
    BACKUP_Jan3
    BACKUP_Jan4

BACKUP_Feb
    BACKUP_Feb2
    BACKUP_Feb3

etc...

2. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

It works for me.

3. ab7fh

ab7fh Registered Member

Curious... same are you the LD50 from my Explorer site??

4. ld50

ld50 Guest

Can someone point me or lead me to instructions on how to do it?

5. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

1) Locate Keyboard
    2) Press keys

:D

When you create an image you'll have an option to create a name for your archive. Have you tried TrueImage 8 yet?

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You threw me with the phrasing of your question. Backup files can be named like any Windows file with long file names using all the numbers, letters (upper or lower case) and many additional characters such as - # & and so forth. These aren't variable, they are just the text for the file name.

I have one system that I backup with names like:
    Traveler XPSP2 5-4-05#.tib

I use the # sign because I split this backup, the parts then have names:
    Traveler XPSP2 5-4-05#1.tib
    Traveler XPSP2 5-4-05#2.tib
    Traveler XPSP2 5-4-05#3.tib

The # makes it easier to see the number of the parts which are assigned automatically by TrueImage.

7. LD50

LD50 Guest

sorry, for the confusion everyone. Today, I use the scheduler to make backups. So, yes, I "press the keys" and type a name like MonthlyBackup. However, each month when the process runs, it will overwrite the name MonthlyBackup. So I would like to name the file something like MonthlyBackup_#date. Whereby, #date looks at the system date and puts it in the appropriate place. At the end of this process and 1 year, I would have files such as MonthlyBackup_05_05_05.tib, Monthlybackup_o6_06_05, MonthlyBackup_07_05_05, etc.. Then my weekly scheduler for incrementals would again, have the same backup variable naming system. Whereby I would then get

MonthlyBackup_05_05_05_1.tib, MonthlyBackup_05_05_05_2.tib, etc. This way I can archive my backups.

Hope this clarifies the request. Thanks for anyhelp that someone could post.

PS. Yes, I read the FAQ
    PPS. Yes, I read the Manual
    PPPS. Yes, I do work in IT and am not an idiot.

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Since you are not an idiot :) I suggest you create a little CMD-file that runs every day using the normal job scheduler. This CMD-file would go looking for your monthly and daily backups and rename them using the information in %DATE%:
    Code:
    if exist "MonthlyBackup" ren "MonthlyBackup" "MonthlyBackup_%DATE%.tib"
    if exist "IncrementalBackup" ren "IncrementalBackup" "IncrementalBackup_%DATE%.tib"

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

MiniMax has come up with a very simple and elegant solution to what is not possible in TrueImage. I haven't seen this suggested before as a way to preserve scheduled backups which always have the same name and otherwise get overwritten by the next automatic backup.

10. LD50

LD50 Guest

Thank you MiniMax. Perfect. Should have thought of that one <g>.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.