variable for email address sender in config.xml

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by fatman, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatman

fatman Registered Member

I am wondering how people who are using a config file for their installs get around the sender email address in Notifications. I would like some sort of identifier for the pc sending out the notifications. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

that's probably one for the wish-list - a way to identify machine, or hostname using some kind of variable substitution along the lines of

%HOSTNAME%@yourdomain.com

Of course, if you have your mail servers setup like ours, that would require setting up aliases PER host... eek!

3. fatman

fatman Registered Member

I sent an email to Eset and I'll post up the reply. If I could just get the %UserName% variable to work I would be happy. Thanks for the reply, Fatman

4. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

We just use a generic "NOD32Client@xxxyyy" for all of our clients. The machine name is in the message, so that works for us. Depending on how many clients you're talking about, you could also try this:
    1. Create your base XML file with all of the information that's needed, along with a generic SMTP address
    2. Create ANOTHER XML file with all of the same settings, except click the Sender Address field in the configuration editor until it turns GREY instead of blue. This should remove that entry from the XML file.
    3. Deploy your clients using the first XML file
    4. Punch the proper entries into the HKLM\Software\Eset\Nod\CurrentVersion\Common key in the registry of each machine (I leave the process as an excercise for the user :D )
    5. Set the mirror server to use the SECOND XML file for future changes

NOTE: Eset does NOT support directly manipulating the registry in any way, and advises against it in any case. If you don't know what you're doing, you can seriously hose your box. Caveat emptor. May contain nuts. I have not tried this, nor can I be responsible for any damage to anything, etc. etc. etc.

5. fatman

fatman Registered Member

Well here is the reply from Eset. Itried it and it works fine. Thanks for everyones help!!

"Had a talk with one of the developers and got more information on this. This technique will work in the current version, but since the program runs as the local system account, USERNAME is undefined. If you use a non-user-specific varible, like COMPUTERNAME, it works just great."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.