Valve has done what every Mac user have dreamed of until now...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

My first word was WOW is this really for real!

I will be able to play Half-Life, Portal, Counter-strike (CS)
    Team-Fortress 2 and all the other Valve games on my Mac :eek: Crazy feeling!

http://valvesoftware.com/news.php?id=3568

SweX

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Like I said on the other forum where this was posted.

Steam should work on getting its software and servers right for Windows users before adding a Mac section. Windows users already cant play their games on release day due to servers being bogged down. Now imagine the Windows hate towards Mac when Mac users also have access to this stuff. Its going to be a war. Its also going to be used to close the argument "well gaming is for PC, not MAC".

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

If they have ported it to Mac, this means it will be simple to get it working for Linux too. Linux support shouldn't be far behind.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well, personally I have never had any issue with what you are saying about the servers etc..

And regarding HL1 and HL2 these are not online games so they should work just perfect.

And CS is not a NEW release and I have been playing it for 7 years without a single issue. So I don't think these server problems affect everybody.

But we will see how it goes once April is arriving....

EDIT: But of course we don't know yet how it will work when Portal2 will be released simutaneously for Mac and PC, if that's what you are reffering to that might cause server issues?

SweX

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Online games or not you have to run steam to play the game which means you have to get access to steams servers and validated online. No net access = no games.

6. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I don't know what will happen on Macs but on PCs, Steam has an offline mode:
    "Offline mode is used when you're about to unplug your laptop, or otherwise expecting not to be connected to the internet.

Many features, such as friends and the Server browser, will not be available while offline. Only games that are fully up-to-date will be available".

So even if you're not online you can play single player games. Multi player obviously is not available. A restart of the Steam client is required to go offline.

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Valve/steam = legends. :D

8. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

I like valve and the 'idea' of steam,
    However, for a downloadable game, they should be cheaper than I can boxed retail versions.
    There isn't one game on steam that I can't get for MUCH CHEAPER in its boxed retail version, this is rather disgusting to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.