Validation of Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kdoc, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdoc

kdoc Registered Member

Two questions about this: 1. Do you recommend validating backups (Full or differential)? 2. Twice now (and this has happened on only one of my three external drives, an Iomega), the Full Backup has gone well, but the backup has frozen during Validate: the message says 2 days are left (in time), and on the log it says:
    "Warning 100 1(0x640001) 4/19/07 7:29AM Terminated by User." (Incidentally the time is when I got up in the morning an cancelled the Validation, after seeing that it apparently had frozen). What is going on with this?

Thanks kdoc

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, I validate images which gives me a little more confidence they are good and my system is running properly. Validation failure can be caused by RAM or HD sub-system problems among others.

I would say you have some kind of a problem reading from the Iomega drive. Something is not well. Not validating the image may stop the freeze but it isn't going to fix the real problem. Better to find out about it now than have it freeze when you are trying to do an emergency restore.

If you are doing the validate in Windows try it from the TI rescue CD and see if that works. TI and some Iomega drives have not played nice together.

3. kdoc

kdoc Registered Member

Wopuld formatting the Iomega possibly make a difference? And What do you mean, to try it from the TI rescue CD. How would you validate from a rescue CD?

kdoc

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

make a rescue CD and then boot from that CD. Then you can either back up or restore without going into windows. when you backup you can also ask for the image to be validated.

Sounds like your problems are to do with the Iomega.

A long time ago I had validation problems and it turned out to be one USB drive.
    For years now I have made images and not bothered with validation. Having determined that my hardware is stable the idea is that should one image fail I would simply go back to the image made the day before and if that failed I would go back .... and so on. Anyway, tempting fate, I haven't had an image fail since 2003 so I no longer validate

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kdoc,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Note that in order to be certain that your archives are not damaged, we may recommend that you check their integrity using Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Backup Archive) of Acronis True Image.

Please also be aware that to check archive data integrity you must have all incremental and differential backups belonging to the archive and the initial full backup. If any of successive backups is missing, validation is not possible.

As for the issue you have described, could you please provide us with some additional information?

- What is the exact name and build number of Acronis True Image you use? You can this information in find in the Help -> About dialog.

Please also follow the seekforever advice and validate the image archive when booted you computer from Acronis True Image Bootable CD. You can find the instructions on how to create Bootable CD in chapter "Creating bootable media" in the respective User's Guide. Let us know the results.

Note that when using Acronis True Image Bootable Media, Iomega REV drives are usually detected as an additional CD/DVD drive, which is available only for reading access.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.