Validation After Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dpollock, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dpollock

dpollock Registered Member

When I backup from the TI 10 (#4871) boot disk, and create a full disk backup and validation run, the machine always hangs on the validation. If I reboot the CD after the backup and then validate, it works fine. The backup works well in both cases, as verified by restoring to a spare driveo_O

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The newest version of V10 is 4942. The latest version has the newest drivers--which might help.

Switch the validation inside Windows to afterwards rather than during the backup (or the reverse) and see if that helps.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Where are you storing your backups? To an external or internal HDD or somewhere else? Are you using the "backup locations" feature?
    If using "backup locations" a validation set to run as part of the backup process will include all images already in the Location as well as the current image. So it follows that the process can take a long time to complete. Validation run as a seperate exercise on a particular image can now be done in V10.

Slightly off your original point I wonder if you have tried creating backup images while live in Windows. This has several advantages such as setting up the task just once and it can then be run manually or automatically.
    OTOH restores are best done from the CD as you are doing at present.

Xpilot

4. dpollock

Not sure what you mean here. I am not in windows when I run backup, but booted from the CD (which I prefer to do). I wonder how safe it is to validate from TI running under Windows - the act of starting up windows must surely modify several files, which will then be different from the earlier backup run from the CD? To answer another question, I am backing up to a spare HDD in a caddy

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The validation under Windows or on the recovery CD version do NOT do a file comparison. One of the reasons being that as you pointed out files get changed in the Windows environment. Also, the validation method allows you to validate an archive at any time even if the original source disk is unavailable. Of course, you can look at this method as both an asset and a liability compared to file comparisons.

The TI validate method is to append a checksum to each 256K bytes of data (~4000 checksums/GB) and include it in the archive. When a validation is done the archive file is read and the checksums are recalculated from the read data and compared to the original checksums. They must match perfectly and if not, the archive is declared corrupted. One bad bit in a multi-gigabyte archive will cause a validation failure.

6. dpollock

Thanks - this explains a lot. I thought that validation was by file! with regard to validation failing when in the same operation as backup - this may be a bug in TI 10. It always worked fine in 9.0?

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The failure sounds familiar but I'm afraid I can't recall the details. I thought it had to do with scheduling an automatic validate after creating the archive but using DVDs.
    It does sound like an initiallization problem. Maybe someone else can give their experience.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dpollock,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.