Validate backup archive results in error E00070020

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ozzie, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozzie

Ozzie Registered Member

Trial version 9, build 3567

I have run a backup for a whole disk, with the archive file going to another drive on another machine on my network. When I try to verify the archive it results in an error E00070020 - "The archive is corrupted".
    I have tried doing the backup three more times, to new files, and the error message still occurs.
    If I try to backup and validate at the same time, the backup terminates with the same error.

If the image is mounted, I can see the files and these can be opened successfully.

I really like the look and feel of this product, as well as its speed (having used Drive Image 5.0 up to now!), but need an answer on this before I am willing to purchase.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I have just had the same error message when backing up to an external HD. I ran CHKDSK in repair mode but it came up with nothing but I was still suspicious of the drives integrity as a second backup also failed. Running the HD manufacturer's own quick diagnostics came up with the answer. I tried this software to repair the bad sectors but there were too many so the drive is only good for RTB and there is the chance of some recompense even though it is nearly three years old.
    So I would suggest that you run diagnostics on the target drive as that is where mine had the problem.

Xpilot.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ozzie,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try creating new images saving them to any other location(s), e.g. other internal, external or network drive(s). Verify these images both when the latest build (3602) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3602) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and inform us about the result;

Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves, between the hard drives and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files were moved\copied;

Please perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Anton Sherkhonov

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Is not 3567 the latest version?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Yes, 3567 is the latest build for TI 9.0 Home. Build 3602 applies to the TI 9.1 Workstation/Server versions.

Regards

6. Steve53762

Steve53762 Registered Member

I received the same error E00070020 with True Image Home v9.0 build 3567 saying the archive is corrupt when backing up my laptop to a network drive. I followed the troubleshooting steps listed by Anton Sherkhonov.

Checksum was fine when copying a 1+ gb file to and from my desktop computer to my server. However when testing the RAM in my laptop source computer, I found that one of the two 512 mb RAM cards gave errors with memtest86. I removed that card and tried backing up again using the one good RAM card. Now the image verifies fine and I was able to restore it to a new larger drive I switched into my laptop without any problems.

Bad RAM was the cause of my E00070020 error. Dell said I was 3 months past my one year warranty so they would not replace the RAM. However Dell would sell me a 1 GB RAM card for $199 with a one year warranty. Sorry Dell, burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. I found the RAM at my favorite memory place, DMS (Data Memory Systems, http://www.datamem.com) for $113 with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips Anton.

-Steve

7. Steve53762

Crap, I spoke too soon. The Acronis image from my 60 gb drive formatted my new 120 gb drive as 60 gb. Ghost never did that - it asks me what size to make to target drive. There goes 4 hours of backup time for my 50 gb image.

Perhaps the option to "install a new drive" will do it correctly. I'll try that next.

Damn!

-Steve

8. Steve53762

'Install new disk' will not work, neither will 'cloan disk' - both require 2 hard drives. My laptop has only one and I do not have the hardware to install a second drive in the DVD bay.

My original image had 3 partitions - Two from Dell, a Fat 16 and a Fat 32, plus my main NTFS partition. Now these are on my new 120 gb hard drive with ~60 gb of unallocated space.

I have tried every option in Acronis and can not get my NTFS partition to grow from 50 to 110 gb. Neither will it let me reformat the drive - very frustrating.

I probably do not need those two Dell partitions, so I deleted the Fat 32 partition in Windows, but am unable to delete the other two. Tried Partition Magic - won't work. Tried BootIT-NG, it said the embr is write protected.

This is going to be time consuming. I may have to go back and take another 4 hours to backup just the ntfs partition on the original 60 gb drive, then another 4 hours to restore it. Hopefully that will work and Acronis did not ruin my new 120 gb hard drive.

9. Howard Kaikow

It rarely pays to get replacement components from a system manufacturer.

AFAIK, the best memory is from Crucial and the best prices on Crucial memory are from Crucial or, sometimes, Newegg has better prices on Crucial memory.

10. Howard Kaikow

Set.Warning = On
    Set. Warning.Message = "Here coms Howard's speech number 23!"

Always do your own formatting, do not allow a backup program to format anything.

Do not restore an image, restore only te files and directories.

Set.Warning = Off

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Steve,

Try a multi-stage restore as per this <previous reply>.

Regards

12. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

It's likely that Boot Virus Protection is turned on in your laptop bios.

13. Steve53762

FOLLOW UP ON ABOVE QUOTE:
    I did the steps indicated in the quoted last paragraph and Acronis did allow resizing the partition when there was only one partition in the image (it would not provide resizing when there were 3 partitions no matter what options I tried.). So now my NTFS partition is up to 110 mb and not stuck at 60 gb. However, that nasty Dell 48 MB partition is still on the drive - evidently write protected - it was not deleted by Acronis when I did a restore with my one partition image.

Fortunately, f-disk was able to delete that Dell Fat 16 partition. So again I ran Acronis to restore again, now that the Dell partition is gone. Acronis restored the image to 111 mb, but now the laptop won't boot. I thought a second and realized boot.ini is probably still set to see this partition as #2 when in actuality it is now partition #1. I used a utility to boot to partition #1 then modified boot.ini so it boots to partition #1. Now the hard drive works as desired.

Finally after all these multiple backups and restores, I have replaced my 60 gb with my new 120 gb drive and everything works.

I must say, I do like this version of Acronis better than previous versions. When splitting an image into 4.4 gb pieces (so I can backup to DVD), it continues without prompting. Ghost on the other hand, prompts you for every piece. Also, Acronis can now be set to automatically verify the backed up image file when the backup is completed. This means once I start a backup, I do not need to touch it again until it is finished. This is great.

The only gottchas are as I described in this thread. If several partitions are in the image, I was not able to restore the one I wanted to fill the 120 gb drive, instead it would only allow making the original 50 gb partition. Also I could not reformat the entire hard drive with Acronis when the hard drive had those 3 partitions on it. Of course all this could have been avoided if I had the foresight to backup only the one NTFS partition I needed and not the two Dell partitions that were on my laptop. Now I know better.

Thanks Howard for the tip on memory sources. Regard not restoring images, just directories and files, I must disagree. I have used images to install and restore thousands of computers without any issues. Organizations would be back in the dark ages without imaging software.

Thanks Beenthereb4 for the tip about checking the bios to see if Boot Virus Protection is turned on. Though I was able to delete that partition with f-disk without changing anything in the bios.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.