I completely uninstalled v7 before putting then new v8 on my system - WinXP SP2. I created my normal schedule for Weekdays at 8pm - when I checked my logs this morning I saw errors about "no such file" referring to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts\09DFAB9D-DFFC-426C-9D4C-5F2EB9FFC4E3.tib.tis I checked this location and it contained a .tib.tis file but it had a different string of characters in it's name - it was confused - I decided to reboot as I hadn't done so since setting that schedule up and as a test I edited it to run ONE minute from NOW and it fired up and ran... Next issue, I loaded up TrueImage to check the logs, the schedule icon still had the "running" icon on it, the logfile told me it had successfully imaged my 4 partitions but there was no "complete" message, I chose to CANCEL the running process but it never stopped... in the end I ran Services and right-clicked on the Acronis Scheduler service and STOPPED it manually. I rebooted again, edited this schedule for ONE minute from NOW and tried again, this time it worked and ended correctly. I shall await and see tomorrow if the 8pm nightly schedule works okay. v8 seems a little flakier compared to v7 at the moment though Fedorov.