V6 Beta ESET Service uses 50% CPU on Win8 RTM

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by deputy963, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deputy963

deputy963 Registered Member

Shortly after boot (with nothing else running) the ESET servie jumps to 50% CPU usage. :argh:

On a side note the Antispam feature does not work with Office 2013 beta.

2. deputy963

FWIW version 5.2 appears to be doing the same. Everything is fine for 10 minutes, or so, then CPU usage starts to slowly climb. Currently running 53%.

Looks like I'll have to return to Defender and wait for some improvements.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Is that on a dual core? As in 100% of one core? Or 50% across multiples?

I don't expect them to support beta Office at this time. I was surprised as to how much support vendors were giving Windows 8.

4. deputy963

It's a quad core hyper threaded intel CPU. It was 50% across the board. When the fan goes into hyperdrive and there isn't anything running it's time to take a look.:D

The similarities between 2010 and 2013, except for the gui chrome, are as one would expect - no major changes. That said, If I'm working on a new version of my program and I know that MS is releasing not only a new OS, but also a new office suite in the very near future, I would look very hard into incorporating compatibility into my program. While I expect ESS 6 to be out shortly Win 8 will begin shipping on lots of devices in October and Office 2013 won't be far behind. Seems like the prudent thing to do would be to have the code base ready for both.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I wouldn't have been too surprised if a single process maxed out a single core, but wow, 50% of 8 threads? Yep, something is definitely wrong there. :doubt:

I'm sure they are looking into it, but very rarely does one beta software product support the beta version of another. Too much of a load on their support department for something that will likely change.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling real-time protection or startup scan tasks and restarting the computer make a difference?

7. deputy963

I'll be honest - I removed both V6 and V5. It was nearly impossible to use in that condition. I may be willing to reinstall, but it will be after I get all of my programs installed/configured and I have a decent drive image to fall back on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.