v4 would not update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by psychokilla, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

I tried installing it, it looks very nice but it would not update. Comes up with a "compile error".

I had updated from v3.0.672 so I tried exporting my firewall settings, uninstalling it, restarting the PC, then installing v4 but I had the same outcome.

Can't really test it if it won't update at all.

Platform is Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

Here are my system specs

2. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Hello,

password - username is updv4?

Greats

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Did you import the settings after installation of v4 beta?

4. s4u

s4u Registered Member

have you tried to uninstall the odl and install the new?

5. michael83815

michael83815 Registered Member

I have the same update problem I get a error saying "general compiler error" I'm using Vista sp1 and did a clean install.

6. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I have the same problem and have reported it to the beta email address at eset. It will download the update file but as soon as it tries to install it, it fails with a general compiler error. I have XP SP3 and have never had any previous issues with updates before. I did uninstall the previous version and there were no apparent problems with the installation. One thing I don't understand is that every time I tried to do an update it had to download the file all over again. I wonder what it does with it when it is downloaded or does it automatically get deleted if the update fails? This should only happen if the file is corrupt. I made a note of the file name and as soon as the update fails, there is no further record of the file.
    I have also found that the log files are not working either as nothing is showing in any of the events or firewall logs.

7. Marcos

Did you perform a clean installation of v4 beta? If so, couldn't it be that you imported previous settings after installation?

8. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

It would seem that changing the user name and password is the cause of the update problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled and left the user name and password in the beta format and the update is now working.
    However, the log files are still empty and I wonder how someone had activity in the SysInspector window as mine is blank and remains that way.

9. Marcos

Which log files do you mean in particular?

Have you created a new snapshot using SysInspector?

10. korbennn

korbennn Registered Member

thanks for this beta, it works very well

For update, on installation don't change username and password defaut

for sysinspector click on add and when the log file is created click two times on the log to open sysinspector ^^

Sorry for the english i'm french

11. Eagle2000

Eagle2000 Registered Member

I used my License info and it is updating correctly..No Problem
    Vista Ultimate 32 Bit

12. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Which log files do you mean in particular?

If you right click on the tray icon and select log files, you can see Events, Personal Firewall, Computer Scan and Detected Threats. I have not done a scan nor expect threats but my previous version had many entries under Events and this new version has only one entry when it updated the virus definitions which I instigated. There are no entries in the Firewall log.

Have you created a new snapshot using SysInspector?

I misunderstood how this worked. All ok on this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.