V4 slowing some web pages in IE7

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by pondlife152, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pondlife152

pondlife152 Registered Member

I've noticed that V4 really does slow access to some web pages in Internet Explorer, especially those with a lot of small images. I remember reporting similar feelings when using the beta.

I have tried running IE7 with no add-ons, and although speed does improve, it is still much slower than when using NOD32 V3.

It's the HTTP scanning that is the culprit. If I turn it off, then the speed goes right back up. Strangly, it doesn't seem to affect Chrome, Opera, Firefox etc.

Any ideas? (Other than stop using IE!!!)

2. pondlife152

Just a follow up. I've had to untick the "Enable HTTP checking" in order to use IE7 properly. On sites such as this forum, especially when the editor starts and displays all the smilies and options, the page loading slows to a crawl. V4 is miles slower than V3 in this respect. I can confirm this as I have just uninstalled V4
    installed V3
    checked speed
    uninstalled V3
    installed V4 again
    checked speed to compare

V4 takes 4 to 10 times longer than V3 to load any page with a lot of small images on it in Internet Explorer 7 on any initial visit to the page in a session.

Once the page has been loaded in a session, then accessing that same page again in that session is lightening quick. So it is not the normal scanning that is the problem, it is the HTTP checking.

Also, if I just disable web access protection, there is still the same lag. No adjustment of settings works, only the disabling of the HTTP checking.

Hope you fix this soon. I'm thinking of returning to V3 for now.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

What operating system/service packs are you using?

4. pondlife152

Please note that I've noticed this slowdown on 2 machines, first with the V4 beta on my laptop which also has Vista Home Premium 32bit & SP1 and is up-to-date with fixes etc.

Now I'm experiencing the same slowdown on my main PC with the release version of V4. This PC also has Vista Home Premium 32bit with Service Pack 1 plus all the latest updates.

5. pondlife152

I think I've found the culprit. It seems that Comodo Internet Security is causing issues with V4. I'm running the Firewall & Defense+ sections only NOT the antivirus.

I've now uninstalled Comodo and the problem disappears.

Now onto why I'm having this problem with V4, but not with V3......

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The web filtering method has changed in v4, it's actually faster to browse, excluding your case.

7. pondlife152

Yes, it does seem fine now I've removed Comodo. I have downloaded a trial version of V4 to put on my laptop, so I can have a play. But I'm thinking this is now more a Comodo issue rather than a NOD32 issue.

I'll share anything if I find a work-around or fix, but for now my main PC will be okay with NOD32 + Windows Firewall.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I also experienced this issue with IE7. I can tell it 100% sure EAV v4 makes browsing slower, as I had to uninstall it, due to the fact it was killing my downloads.

IE7/IE8 RC browsing is way too faster now.

I noticed this slowness in both active and passive mode.

Regards

9. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Me too. Also with K-Meleon.
    Besides, my email clients also started to crawl. :(
    Uninstalled V4 and returned to V3.

10. pondlife152

V4 does seem okay now that I've uninstalled Comodo. Been thinking of trying ESS but to be honest I wasn't impressed with V3 ESS when I tried the trial. I might try V4 ESS on my laptop for comparison.

I have just installed the Agnitum Outpost firewall trial on my main PC, which seems okay in conjunction with NOD32 V4. Browsing speed seems alright, and everything is stable so far.

There is the file scan issue on downloads, which is being discussed in another thread. Now that seems NOD causing the problem, but it now appears that all versions are affected.

11. Adramalech

Adramalech Registered Member

Just out of curiosity: Did anyone that experienced the problem 'just' try to exclude the specific URL / domain under Anitvirus and antispyware -> Web access protection -> HTTP, HTTPS -> Address management instead of disabling the whole web protection?

12. pondlife152

No, but as I reported, the problem (for me) was due some sort of interaction between NOD V4 and Comodo. My web browser slowdown has disappeared since removing Comodo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.