V4 Random problems and a rant

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by blin, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blin

blin Registered Member

V4 is causing me problems.

The worst being bugchecks, seemingly random, in the midst of "normal working" and not whilst doing anything specific - just dev work.

The second is almost as annoying as the bugchecking:

Steps to reproduce (Windows Server 2008 x64 Free):

1. Autohide your taskbar
    2. Open notepad and maximise the window so your entire screen is white
    3. Wait.......

Approx every 9-10 seconds you should see the Vista Start button flicker on your screen in it's normal position for about a 10th of a second - just a frame or two.

If you do dev work all day long and look at the screen and this is constantly flickering like this - it drives you nuts.

The only workaround I have at the moment is to open Process Explorer and kill the egui.exe process - this is far from ideal.

I Know you have a massive amount of testing and teething to go through with this new release, and i'm sympathetic to that, but......

The bugchecks are bad - really really bad. I do all my own driver testing on VMs to specifically avoid this issue - I can't walk on eggshells all day waiting for my actual machine to bugcheck from "out of nowhere".

The flickering you can stick in the "cosmetic bugs" bucket obviously, but what on earth is your GUI polling for every ten secondso_O Never mind.

I'm rolling back to version 3 tonight until this release is stable, at least in terms of your driver, I could live with the flickering, but not the blue screens.

good luck.

2. Darken

Darken Registered Member

Same problem, Vista x86.

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Seems ok for me on Vista x64. I have "Classic" theme though, with Aero disabled. Could that be a factor?

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.