v4 blocks Internet access

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Biscuit, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Windows XP SP2

I had a very nasty virus to clean. I was unable to initially install any security software (even in safe mode) until I installed WinPatrol. I was then able to see a file with a random numeric name in startup from windows\system32 which I used Unlocker to delete. After that I was able to install MBAM. It found some nasties to delete & froze on the first attempt to remove. I then ran a full scan with MBAM & also Nod32 & then PrevxEdge. HijackThis seems ok.

Everything seemed fine except that I could not browse the Internet, Nod32 could use the Internet to update with no problem. I used a Winsock repair utility which had no effect. I uninstalled IE & Firefox & then reinstalled them with no effect. I set up a new user account & the new user couldn't access the Internet. Running Safe mode with Networking, the Internet worked fine. The hosts file was clean.

The problem was Nod32 v4. Each time I installed Nod32 v4 it cut Internet access, I uninstalled & it worked fine. Everything is now working with Nod32 v2.7.

2. STRYDER

STRYDER Registered Member

hmm,
    If you want to try again I would suggest completely removing 2.7 with the eset uninstaller, then install V3 then install V4 over it. I did that once and it worked fine :)

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I don't have the opportunity to go back & do this. Nod has already cost me a lot of time on this particular job.

4. saurabhsen

saurabhsen Registered Member

On Vista x32 with all regular updates was working fine with Nod32 AV v3. Immediately after installing v4, the IE & FF started crashing with BSOD with error NETIO.sys as mail culprit.

No amount of R&D could solve the problem. The problem went away after uninstalling the v4 and now works fine back with v3.

5. tiinkka

tiinkka Registered Member

I also had difficulty with V 4 in that it would load when opening a browser then need six or seven timed out attempts to load a page . this would eventually become a little better but the problem was always there and corrected itself immediately when I re-installed V3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.