v3 64 Bit Questions

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Hangetsu, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Hi all!

Does anyone know if the 64 bit version of NOD32 v3 is completely native 64 bit, or if has parts that are 64 bit and the other components are 32 bit (for example, Norton's drivers are 64 bit but the UI and other components operate in 32 bit).

Also, has anyone had any trouble using NOD32 when using a Standard / Limited user account (rather than Administrator)? Not to beat up Norton, but I'm having huge issues with this at the moment - which is why I'm looking to come back to Eset.

Also, I used v3 when it first came out and it seemed a bit sluggish. Have there been improvements to performance over the last few months (dumb question as I'm sure they have, but just asking!).

EDIT: One other question - How is support of Windows Live Mail with NOD32 at this point? Would I be better off going back to Thunderbird for protection?

EDIT #2: And one more question - Why is NOD32 certified for AV detection on ISCA Labs, but not for cleaning?

EDIT #3: Sheesh, I should have thought out my question list more - Anyway, how good is NOD32 against keyloggers? That's my biggest concern above anything these days (right or wrong).

Thanks, and looking forward to the replies!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ESET NOD32 is not a native 64bit program . Just some parts of it are .
    Here is an official explanation from ESET's Support Knowledge base section in eset.com website:

I haven't had any such problems with 32 bit Vista. There is no difference in the accounts aspect between the 32/64 bit versions of Vista , so I guess you'll have no problems , too. Should you have , just post :thumb:

A lot of improvements have taken place since the 3.0.5xx builds . 3.0.642 is OK

EAV scan POP3 email traffic . Furthermore , it integrates with WLM and this allows it to scan all its emails. Thunderbird is still not supported when it comes to integration but ESET are working on this part. Thunderbird traffic (if POP3) will be scanned .

Because ESET didn't wanted to take part in these tests . In order to get such certificate , the vendor is supposed to pay a tax to take part in the tests , then to get tested and if approved , then get a certificate . ISCA Labs' test , even though a trusted one , is not one of the most important these days because its tests are with some small set of samples.

Try yourself or have a look at the tests. Commercial keyloggers are detected as Potentially Unsafe programs in ESET's softwares. I don't think keyloggers are something special to worry about . A worm or another trojan can do the same or even more harm .

3. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

A simpler answer - look at your program files. If an application appears ONLY under program files, most LIKELY is true 64-bit, but if it appears also under program files(x86), you got me..

4. Hangetsu

HiTech, thank you for the thorough answers, its appreciated and what I was looking for!

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are most welcome , Hangetsu!

Just make sure that after you have removed Norton IS , you use the Symantec Norton removal tool (just in case) :thumb:

6. Hangetsu

I'm going to re-format and re-install everything (going 64 bit), and I'm going to store a completed image when I'm done. If I ever get infected, a clean machine will be a re-image away at that point :D

7. BedreAntivirus

BedreAntivirus Registered Member

i have been using NOD32 on 64bit vista RTM/SP1, XP x64 RTM/SP2 just fine
    its one of the frew that has good 64-bit support

even microsofts program dont run nativly in 64-bit like windows media player & Internet Explorer (32bit)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.