v2.50.25, XP SP2, and Latest MS Updates

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Hexaguano, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

v2.50.25, XP Home w/SP2, and Latest MS Updates

Since updating my PCs with the latest patches from MS, I've been logging the following Event in the "Application" log:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: HHCTRL
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1903
    Date: 6/22/2005
    Time: 5:35:43 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1903 ) in Source ( HHCTRL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=45839.

I've been getting these at almost the exact same time each day. A little detective work indicates that it coincides with the completion of my daily NOD32 disc scans (when the log file is written). Any others ?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Yup, I got it, too. The HHCTRL refers to the HTML Help ActiveX control, and it started only after I got the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358 patch from Windows Update on Windows XP.

It seems to be an informational message only, but I am not sure what the end of a scheduled scan would have to do with HTHL Help. It could be a minor bug in Microsoft's fix, for all I know.

3. Hexaguano

Hexaguano Registered Member

Me either. This is the relevant part of the response that I got from MS support when I reported it to them several days ago:

HHCTRL is HTML Help ActiveX control. Some third
    party web applications will use it to enable cross-frame navigation.

So you see it with the ending of a NOD32 scheduled scan as well ?

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Nothing here. Everything normal.

5. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Yup. Two different computers, one running WinXP Home SP2, the other WinXP Pro SP2. The times correspond, down to the last second.

6. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I'm OK as well, maybe not having SP2 is the reason for me. :rolleyes:

7. piktor

piktor Registered Member

It happens to me too, always at the end of a planned scan with NOD32 [2.12.3]

my system: w2k SP4 with all patches

8. b+e

b+e Registered Member

Happens on Windows Server 2003 SP1, too; it began, when NOD32 upgraded to version 2.5.

It seems to happen every time the NOD32 scanning module (in my case called in the command line version to scan incoming mail) runs. So the Logs are filled with that event (about 400 a day)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.