V11 Traffic light bar

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bodgy, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

For those who are puzzled as to why their tasks imported from a previous version of TI are shown by the info bas as not having taken place - but they really have - the good news is that once your complete task set has run for whatever backup period they cover, the bar will then behave itself.

My tasks are on a fortnightly schedule, with task 1 = Full Sat, inc every M-F, task 2 exactly the same but on the opposite week.

Colin

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I only set one task to run daily. Day one it ran and the bar turned green. Day two the task did not run but the bar stayed green! Day three I went back to V 10!
    It may be that the bar only changes or checks itself on a weekly basis after the first scheduled task runs?

From my point of view the colour of the bar is a red herring or in my case a green one.
    The important thing is that my daily task only ran itself once instead of each day. The failure to be able to run a task a second time is a FATAL ERROR.

In normal times I never have to open the TI GUI so I would not see the bar whatever the colour is. This is because, with all previous versions I have been able to "Fit and Forget". The daily task runs and if I am at the computer the running icon pops into view and I know it is time to go to lunch.
    I run restores from the recovery CD so I have no need to open the GUI to see the traffic light bars.

Other programs such as an anti-virus will use the task bar notification area to advise the user of, for example, definitions being out of date. So that is what I would expect of any security program. There should be no need to open the GUI of any of these programs unless a problem is signalled.

So once again Acronis have added a feature which at first sight appears useful. However once a user feels comfortable with the program they probably would not open the GUI for months at a time and would never see the hidden warnings.

Xpilot

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Ah yes, as I think I mentioned in another thread, th eproblem of the bar staying green, when a task hasn't been run, due to the computer or backup drive not being switched on at the time and the 'run if task not started' option isn't ticked - is apparently the way it is meant to work.

I agree, I would expect it to tell you it hasn't run - if it hasn't run no matter what the option is. Mind you, for it to be really useful, it would be good if that notification was accessible from the system tray - if I have a schedule, I normally don't start the TI main GUI.

Colin

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The way it apparently is intended to work, I don't see how it would be of much if any value to user -- If one did need alerts about whether backups have occured or not, well, if email notifications worked correctly . . .

This feature more than any other is a "bell/whistle." It's a piece of tinfoil on the fender being passed off as chrome being passed off as soemthing increasing horsepower. When I see it, it doesn't say to me, "time to schedule a backup," it says to me, "Acronis just wanted something they could hype as an added feature and a reason for version change without bothering to do intelliginet coding." I'd put it in the category of sleazy marketing practices, unworthy of the basic ATI program is. Imo, definitely a step down the morality ladder for Acronis.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Having read the manual pages about the Traffic lights my fears are confirmed. It seems to work on a weekly rather than a daily basis.
    It started to behave as per the manual when I did a manual backup...It stayed yellow as stated.
    I then scheduled a backup and it still stayed yellow until later when the first scheduled backup had completed not when the schedule was written. Only then did the bar turn green.This may be as designed but it seems darn stupid and misleading way to perform.
    Worse was to come. The next day the same scheduled backup DID NOT RUN. It should have gone to an internal drive as before and the computer was switched on in good time. The Traffic light bar STILL STAYED GREEN. A completely misleading and, in my book, FATAL ERROR.
    So there are two errors here, a scheduled backup did not run and the the Traffic Light gave incorrect information.

At this point I removed Version 11 and went back to version 10. So I am not prepared to run through the rigmarole of providing lots of my system information to help you track done the reasons for these two failures.
    It is reproducable and another poster here has had exactly the same problem. Try it out one one of your test computers and you will see it for yourself. Then fix it.

Xpilot

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello XPilot,

We'd like to inform you that Traffic Light Bar changes the color only if the Scheduled task started and failed. Therefore, could you please clarify if the scheduled task didn't run at all or it started and failed? please also submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Eugene Bogdanov if it would be convenient for you. We will give the issue a closer investigation and provide you with the effective solution.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I had created a daily task to image the whole of my main drive to a secure zone on a secondary internal drive. The next day the task ran and the bar changed green. The following day the task did not run and the bar remained green. The computer had been switched on and was working normally. I looked at the Ti log and there was no indication that the task had started.
    So there are two problems here. The backup task failed to run on day two and warning bar stayed green.

A warning bar which does not give a warning when a task does not start needs fixing otherwise it cannot be relied upon.
    The backup task, which had run sucessfully the previous day, had not been edited or changed in any way. So I cannot understand why it did not run on the second day.

At this point I restored my computer to before Version 11 was installed. I have not intention to reinstall it in the near future and I don't see what good it would do to request technical support for Version 11 as I have gone back to Version 10 which is working fine.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.