(v10 trial) Trouble backing up only Documents and Settings

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hank_tw, Nov 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hank_tw

hank_tw Registered Member

Context:

Currently trying out ATI 10 (only couple days left, so appreciate quick response, thanks). My needs are simple and so far ATI seems to have all the features I need.

Problem:

Scheduling and execution of full and diff backup of entire logical drive OK. Only problem is with backups involving C:\Documents and Settings. Even with admin privilege, I've not been able to backup only those data (which are most critical). Tried another account (also w/ full rights), same (unhelpful) "Completed with errors" message. Of course, supplied passwords to ATI when scheduling.

Solution?

Need ideas. Only thing I can see is that one of my accounts restricts other users from access. But even when I manually run a task while logged into that account, I still get the error.

Question: Does it matter which user account I use to install ATI?

As my trial is ending (and my forum search so far not enlightening), I'd really hope to settle on ATI 10 by having this resolved. I am frankly biased toward it after reading a glowing review. Resolution of the above problem is critical, as I prefer only backing up critical data routinely (and whole drives only occasionally). Thanks.

2. hank_tw

hank_tw Registered Member

Well, the problem I described must be either so rare that no one has yet encountered it or so common that I ought to have found the answer on my own. With but a day left I'm faced with the option of searching for an alternative to TI or testing it again on a different machine and hope for the best (which still leaves the other pc in data limbo).

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hank_tw,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible workaround.

Could you please clarify the exact error messages? Please also send us the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

No it does not matter which account you used to install Acronis True Image. Please note that file-based backup ("My data", "My Application settings", "My E-mails") performs on file system level and Acronis Snapshot technology allows you to create an image of all the data residing on a source disk\partition or in a source folder including files and folders that are currently in use by another application(s). This post describing Acronis Snapshot Technology may be useful.

Please also be aware snapshot operation can be performed on the local computer only (computer which has the application installed) and so when Acronis True Image creates a file-based backup of the files and folders residing in a shared folder it uses an alternative approach. Please have a look at this previous post of mine for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.