V 3.1, Run-time error '14', won't open

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by dougjp, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougjp

dougjp Registered Member

Hi. 3.0 ran fine on my Win 98SE computer, and I have lots of hard disk space (a shortage of which can be the cause of this error).

I followed the disable and uninstall instructions for 3.0. Two files were left in the folder after uninstall. The first time I installed 3.1, I left them there, second try I deleted them and the folder. Same error message when trying to start up 3.1.

Also registry problems according to Norton WinDoctor after uninstalling 3.0, one was invalid shortcut and two unidentifiable ones which may or may not be related. Thinking it was a corrupt download, I got 3.1 from another of the locations listed, same result.

2. dougjp

dougjp Registered Member

Oops, the full error message was " run-time error '14' out of string space "

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I think I know what may be causing this error.

Could you please e-mail me at bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com ? (Reference this thread, and the error you are receiving). In a day or two I'll try to send off a special version for you to test to see if I can fix this problem. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Earl 1945

Earl 1945 Registered Member

Sorry to bother! I am getting this same "Run-time error 14" Out of string space. I will also send to bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com Thanks for your attention to this problem.

5. wattru

wattru Registered Member

I posted the following message in another thread and was referred to this one:

I have seen my problem mentioned earlier, but cannot seem to find any replies addressing this exact problem. My 3.0 version worked perfectly, but 3.1 gives me a message "Run-time error '14'. Out of string space" when I try to open it. I then click "OK" and the program closes. As a result some rather nasty spyware was installed on my C drive last week. Luckily my Spybot program is working correctly and it was able to detect and delete the offending files.

I am running Win98se, 1.6 AMD processor, 512MB ram. I use Netscape 7.0 and Internet Explorer 6.0. I also had an old version of Netscape 4.7 installed and I have uninstalled it in an attempt to clear up this problem but this made no difference. My registry.dat file is a WHOPPING 182MB!!! I can't even open it - wordpad attempts to read the file, but when it reaches about 20 or 21% it starts over at 0% and ultimately I have to control-alt-delete (it shows that wordpad is not responding) and "end task". Earlier posts do not make it clear if it is safe to delete the registry.dat file.

Please help if you can! I was so happy with the 3.0 version, now I feel lost!

I will also send this to the email address mentioned above. Thanks!

6. maceyr

maceyr Registered Member

Same here. I'm running Win 2000 and tried uninstalling and re-installing, even deleting the folder before re-installing and still have this same runtime error '14' out of string space. Will send you an email.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.