Utility that shows what port an application just wanted to use

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ulukai, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Hi guys,

is there a simple utility that would tell me what port (and maybe protocol) a specific application just wanted to use? More or less i want this because I'm testing win7 firewall and it's almost impossible to set it up because it doesn't have anything like learning mode so many times i just don't know what port do i need to open and even google doesn't always help.

Thanks.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

curports
    tcpview

or free and already available from command prompt

netstat -ano

also open from command prompt

tasklist /svc

then you can compare the PID from the netstat window and see which process it refers to. This will show TCP and endpoints, but UDP is a bit less informative.

tcpmon is what you want when you are ready to stop messing around though. It shows everything. Or a packet sniffer such as wireshark.

Sul.

3. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Great, thanks man, i will try those apps asap.

4. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Any chance that there is a tool that would show what connection have been blocked or just tried in the past? By past i mean in last minute for example. Curports and tcpview are showing only currently active connections. So if i try to connect with an application that is blocked from network connection, it will not show on the list, or maybe i would have to refresh those apps right in the moment i try to connect with that blocked application.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Not that I know of. tdimon is probably the most informative, but not for what was blocked. I guess all you can do is try and see. Of course a firewall would tell you.

Sul.

6. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Thanks, it's much better than nothing, so i will just have to play with it a bit more. I guess firewall would tell me, but not win7 firewall :D

7. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

netstat -abno will show the files, eliminating the need to cross reference the PIDs in the task manager.
    Also TCP view is a stand alone program for doing what you are looking for:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

Some software firewalls have a netstat viewer builtin showing real time events.Kerio 2.1.5 is one example.

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

If you check the firewall log you can see which ports/protocols to IPs that have been blocked.

Windows\System32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log

9. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Thanks guys.

That log doesn't help as much as i thought it should. It is not showing application name for which block happened :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.