Utility that shows what port an application just wanted to use

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ulukai, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Hi guys,

is there a simple utility that would tell me what port (and maybe protocol) a specific application just wanted to use? More or less i want this because I'm testing win7 firewall and it's almost impossible to set it up because it doesn't have anything like learning mode so many times i just don't know what port do i need to open and even google doesn't always help.

Thanks.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

curports
    tcpview

or free and already available from command prompt

netstat -ano

also open from command prompt

tasklist /svc

then you can compare the PID from the netstat window and see which process it refers to. This will show TCP and endpoints, but UDP is a bit less informative.

tcpmon is what you want when you are ready to stop messing around though. It shows everything. Or a packet sniffer such as wireshark.

Sul.

3. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Great, thanks man, i will try those apps asap.

4. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Any chance that there is a tool that would show what connection have been blocked or just tried in the past? By past i mean in last minute for example. Curports and tcpview are showing only currently active connections. So if i try to connect with an application that is blocked from network connection, it will not show on the list, or maybe i would have to refresh those apps right in the moment i try to connect with that blocked application.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Not that I know of. tdimon is probably the most informative, but not for what was blocked. I guess all you can do is try and see. Of course a firewall would tell you.

Sul.

6. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Thanks, it's much better than nothing, so i will just have to play with it a bit more. I guess firewall would tell me, but not win7 firewall :D

7. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

netstat -abno will show the files, eliminating the need to cross reference the PIDs in the task manager.
    Also TCP view is a stand alone program for doing what you are looking for:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

Some software firewalls have a netstat viewer builtin showing real time events.Kerio 2.1.5 is one example.

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

If you check the firewall log you can see which ports/protocols to IPs that have been blocked.

Windows\System32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log

9. ulukai

ulukai Registered Member

Thanks guys.

That log doesn't help as much as i thought it should. It is not showing application name for which block happened :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.