using zonealarm antispyware with ewido

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by philebus, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philebus

philebus Registered Member

Hi,

I have a licenced verson of ewido 4 plus, as well as zonealarm pro.

Zonealarm pro includes an antispyware shield which I am wondering whether I should use since I know ewido's antispware, antitrojan, etc capacity is better. Would they conflict, and even if they wouldn't is it a good idea to deactivate the zonealarm antispware. I currently have it deactivated.

(FYI, I also run spybot S&D, spywareblaster, ad aware personal and have NOD32 anti virus, which also has some antispyware capacity).

thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i doubt they would conflict, but its your choice to keep ZA's antispyware disabled or enabled. if it doesnt hurt performance, id just keep it enabled.

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I occassionally turned on the anti-spyware function of ZoneAlarm Pro, and I didn't notice any incompabilities with ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware and Ewido. However, I would trust Ewido more than ZoneAlarm's Antispyware..

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I use ZAP Pro Anti-Spyware and ewido together with abbsolutely no problems; nor should there be because, as far as I can work out, the ZA spyware section is just a demand scanner (no different from doing demand scans with Spybot, which you also use) together with a Spyware site blocking function. The Operating System FW in ZA offers far better protection against spyware than the scanner in my opinion.

Ewido's guard is doing things rather differently, it is acting realtime to intercept and scan executable files whenever you attempt to execute them. It will also scan the file as it gets started in memory, which may catch things that have concealed code by heavy encryption.

Thus if you run ZAP and ewido together, you will be doing the following:-

1) The ZAP site blocking feature can prevent you from inadvertently accessing certain dangerous sites;

2) If you attempt to execute a bad file ewido can intercept it at that point;

3) Failing all of the above, the OS FW of ZAP can prevent suspicious activity from occuring (so long as you click to block that activity!).

4) Finally, both ewido and ZAP allow you to do periodic demand scans of your system.

I see no reason to deactivate the ZA AS section.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder if ZAP AS is just a static scanner rather than any real time shield? Didi Anybody find it catching a spyware in real time?

6. philebus

philebus Registered Member

Thanks for those reponses. Yes, I thought ZA pro also provided some real-time anti-spyware shield, on top of the scanner and spyware site-blocking function. If it doesn't then I see no reason not to run it as it can't clash with ewido.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.