Using with zonealarm free

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rollers, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rollers

rollers Registered Member

Hi,
    I am looking for a basic firewall which gives outbound alerts, so decided to try the zonealarm free as I used to use this a few years ago.
    However, when I try to download it my Eset AV flags up that it contains a win32 toolbar. I do have PUA set to detect.
    Can anyone clarify what this win32 toolbar is and is it worth the hassle or not?
    Thanks

I have not installed until I get clarification.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Where are you downloading it from? It is probably some bundled thing that hopefully you get the option not to install

3. rollers

Downloading it direct from zonelalarm. I didn't get as far as installing it :)

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

How current is the ZoneAlarm software, this may be why it's flagging a genuine PUA

5. rollers

Its the most recent of today.
    I have taken the plunge and installed. It is in fact some toolbar that comes with it, but you get the chance to not tick the box so you don't have to install. Its one of those that wants to change your search provider and home page. I hate those.
    Having said that, without the dodgy toolbar, the firewall is very good.
    I guess that confirms that the AV was doing its job properly and flagging up unwanted crapware.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thank you for your follow-up that the ZoneAlarm free version is an invasive installing where certain elements must be avoided during the initial installation options dialogue.

Your feedback is appreciated.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The toolbar contains the web filtering etc.:ouch: :ouch:

8. rollers

Thankfully I was only after the basic firewall element to give outbound protection, the toolbar won't be missed :D
    Its a shame when something good wants to do all those unnecessary changes to a computer, I can imagine the less computer savvy getting caught out

9. rollers

Back to the drawring board. When I went to start the computer this morning, zonealarm started but Eset wouldn't. I couldn't even get to the control panel to remove zonealarm.
    Thank goodness for Acronis, now to try something else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.