Using Universal Restore causes our server to keep rebooting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by westmarket, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westmarket

westmarket Registered Member

Hello. We opened a ticket with Acronis a few days ago and have not had a response so we posting our question here to see if anyone has any ideas. We are using Universal Restore with Acronis True Image 9.1 Server with UNIVERSAL RESTORE. We created an image of a Windows 2003 Server on a Dell Poweredge 2850 using Perc SCSI Raid 5. We tried to restore this image using Universal Restore to a Poweredge 2950 using a Perc SCSI RAID 5 (this card uses a different driver than the 2850). Nowhere during the creation of the image or restoration does Acronis ask about any drivers so it sees the hard drives fine. It restored fine but the server keeps rebooting once the Windows screen displays. We plan on purchasing 15-20 licenses for about half our servers here because we have a mix of different Dell Poweredge servers but we need to make sure Universal Restore will work for us first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

2. westmarket

Update:

List of things we have tried.

We have tried booting into Safe Mode and we got the same problem.

We tried adding the network driver location in the options to a network location before we created the .iso file. We put the extracted RAID drivers in the location and tried to restore to the Dell Poweredge 2950 and we got the same scenario with the server rebooting.

We tried enabling a USB device to search for drivers before we created the .iso file. This didn't work either.

We unchecked "Automatically Restart" under "Startup and Recovery" in "System Properties" and then created another image of the Dell Poweredge 2850. When we restored the image to the Dell Poweredge 2950 this time we got a blue screen once the Windows Server 2003 screen displayed. It said "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". "Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers..." "*** Stop: 0x0000007B "

We have tried everything we can think of and its as if Universal Restore isn't working at all. We tried restoring the image with just regular True Image Server 9.1 and we got the same symptoms with the Dell Poweredge 2950 server rebooting.

Also our build number is 3854.

Thanks for your help

3. monstersinc1

monstersinc1 Registered Member

I have the same problem going from a PowerEdge 2600 (PERC4) to a PowerEdge 2900 (PERC5). I never get the blue screen though. It just starts Server 2003 SP1 and then reboots. I really hope they give us a fix for this. I specfically bought this product to help in this migration.o_O

4. westmarket

Nice to see that we are not the only one!! We ONLY get the blue screen when we uncheck the "automatically restart" under "Startup and recovery" and then create the image from that. If we don't, it just restarts when the windows screen loads.

5. ifantig

ifantig Registered Member

Any update on this issue guys, I too am having a similar problem.

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

My advice is to find out if the drive letters where changed following the restoration. It's been known to happen. The only reason I suggest that, is because when I've done a restore where it wouldn't boot completely (windows would hang at login screen or go into a loop) it's always been because the drive letter on my c: system drive got changed. Download the demo of "paragon justboot corrector", use that to boot up your non-booting computer, it will check your hard drive for all bootable os and look at the registries in those os to see what the drive letters are. The system drive letter should be c: in most cases, If it's not 99% of the time thats your problem.
    I would at least rule out the drive letters (which is quick) before trying something else.

7. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Second idea would be to image all first disk on source server.

I would give a try at getting an "older" version of Acronis TI and UR to try.

Normally you have on UR screen a first screen that allows you to choose if you want to "forcibidly insert mass storage driver" without checking PnP or so, just saying it will that one and nothing else.

So first of all try with a real mirroring of partitions and disks (if you have 1 disk 3 partitions, go for imaging all by selecting disk and restoring all on destination)

Hope it helps, and i didnt miss that piece of information...

Jaycee

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ifantig,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Corporate Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe the issue in more details?
    What is the build and full version name of Acronis True Image you use? You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window. Please make sure that all components (including Acronis Universal Restore and Acronis Bootable Rescue Media) are updated to the latest build. To get access to updates you should first register your software.
    What is the course of actions you are taking? Are there any error messages? When exactly do they appear? What do they say?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.