Using TrueImageTerminal.exe schedules job??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sascha.Koerber, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sascha.Koerber

Sascha.Koerber Registered Member

TrueImageTerminal.exe: backup hangs

[System: Win2000 Server, Raid 5, iomega REV Drive for Backup solution]

Hello TrueImage-Fans,

i've got a Problem with TrueImage Server 8.0 (newest build available). The TrueImageTerminal.exe schedules a job when started without executing it.

More exact explanation:

We weren't able to use the scheduling function that is built-in with TrueImage Frontend, because we want to stop some services before the scheduled backup-job starts.

Therefore we made a .TIS script which is used by TrueImageTerminal.exe to start the backup job at a given time. We created a little batch-file that shuts down the needed oracle-services, before TrueImageTerminal.exe ist startet to do the backup.

Here the code of the batch file, so you can see what we did:

Code:
    rem stop Oracle-Services

net stop OracleServiceEVA1
    net stop OracleOraHome92TNSListener

rem Start Acronis True Image Backup

c:\programme\acronis\trueimage\trueimageterminal.exe /execute:c:\sicherung.tis

rem Restart Oracle-Services after backup

net start OracleServiceEVA1
    net start OracleOraHome92TNSListener

And here is the .TIS file we made which describes the way TrueImageTerminal.exe should do the backup:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<backup>

<source letter="C" />
    <source letter="D" />
    <source letter="E" />

<target file="Z:\sicherung.tib" />

<options compression="normal" incremental="false" description="Datensicherung Server Offheim" split="1024 Mb" />

</backup>

So far so good. If i start the batch file by hand, everything works fine. Services get stopped, backup runs, services get started again.

Now if i create a scheduled task in windows scheduler to start the above batch file at a certain time, the batch file gets started like desired.

BUT:

After the oracle-services got stopped (at the point where TrueImageTerminal.exe is started) a message appears, that a backup job is scheduled for exectution by schedule2.exe (or something very similar). At this point the batch file stops and nothing happens anymore.

Now the Questions:

1) WHY does TrueImageTerminal.exe try to schedule a job - i did not tell it to do so?!? The backup should start right away when the exe ist triggered.

2) HOW is schedule2.exe involved into this? Thought that is a separate thing which has nothing to do with the TrueImageTerminal.exe-program of TrueImage?

I would be gracefull if anybody could give me a hint, how to get the above constellation to work properly (which it should in my opinion).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  2. petersra

petersra Registered Member

I am using the same program on three servers. I could not get the built in scheduler to work reliably. I created a script the same as yours that runs the imaging. It works fine on two of the three servers, the domain controller and the SQL server but fails at random intervals on the Terminal Services server. It appears to generate multiple instances of the TrueImageServer process, the TrueImageTerminal process and scheduler2 process. On the SQL server I created three tasks; the first stops the Database, the second runs the imaging and the third restarts the database. This requires that I timed the executions of the tasks to ensure that adequate time was allowed although Support said that you could stop the database, start the imaging and wait a few minutes and then restart the database before the imaging was finished. I preferred not to tempt fate by restarting until I was sure the image was created.

3. Sascha.Koerber

Sascha.Koerber Registered Member

Hi there,

thanks for your answer. On our maschine we seem to experience the same problem as you do on your Terminal-Server Box. TrueImageTerminal.exe and Schedule2.exe spawn more than one time, once triggered by the batch-file described above. The strange thing is: sometimes it works flawlessly for 3 or 4 days, and then another day the batch file stops with the message "Job ist scheduled for execution" but never executes it. Although i never told it to schedule the task for a certain time... TrueImageTerminal.exe is triggered to start the image-task right away. And i cant find any Errors in the log-files telling me where to look or what to do. *sigh*

Well - i tried installing the newest newest newest build now to see if the problem is resolved.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Server (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISWin/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please send a screenshot of the error you mentioned above to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Hello there,

i just came back to this thread. Some users pm'ed me to tell me i should try another, even newer build of TrueImage Server (8.0.826 that was). After installing that build an rebooting the problem was gone! We never again experienced problems with the scheduled image-creation via XML-Script.

Works like a charme now.

And of course: TrueImage ROCKS. Compare it to any other Backup-Software and you'll find out: it's cheaper, its easier to administrate and its just a whole backup. Comination of Iomega REV-Drive + TrueImage Server = the real thing.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SaschaKoerber,

We are glad that this issue has been solved. Thank you very much for your warm words. If you have any other questions or encounter any problems please feel free to contact us again. We will certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.