Using True Image has hosed my network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by boaster, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boaster

boaster Registered Member

After installing "True Image" I get the message "\\drivename is not accessible. Not enough server storage to process this request" whenever I try accessing any files on my network. If I rollback windows to before the install the network starts working again so I know it's True Image that's causing the problem. The question is: How do I fix it?

Thanks

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You need to set the irpstacksize https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162191&highlight=irpstacksize
    . See Post #3.

3. boaster

Thanks, set the stack to 20 on both machines will see what happens when I boot up again tomorrow...very obscure thing to have to do...just a suggestion--if this program needs a bigger IRPStack maybe it could automatically change the registry during install?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you ever have Norton Antivirus or Security installed? Blame those programs, they reset the size to too low a value.

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

This was a problem with early releases of V9 and maybe V8. Its not been reported in quite a while. Mine is set to 21.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I am not sure if this is a fault of any program including the, IMO, dreaded Symantec products. The needed value depends on just how many "things" are running that make use of this resource, not a specific program. Default WinXP installations don't even have a parameter listed for IRPSTACKSIZE in the registry it is defaulted to 15.

I think any value from 15 to 50 is legit. I think I had to go over 20 and ended up setting it at 30 for good measure, IIRC.

7. boaster

Thanks everyone, setting it to 20 has given me back access again. Just curious, how much more memory am I giving up by changing this value from 15 to 20?

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know is the short answer - but my feeling is that it is nothing to be concerned about. Nothing you can do about it anyway if you want it to work. I found this:

IRPstackSize is a Server service-specific parameter that specifies the number of stack locations in I/O request packets (IRPs) used by the Server service on an NT Server or Workstation. It may be necessary to increase this number for certain transports, MAC drivers, or local file system drivers. You may experience problems related to this value right after adding a device or service to the system, because that driver or service may push this heap past its default size limit.

9. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Registered Member

I had the same problem on one of my employers computers. I have yet to go over to the work place and fix it but here are the directions on how to fix it for those who dont know

How to Change IRPStackSize
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078

-Cyclonic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.