Using TI boot disk for imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alert5, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alert5

alert5 Registered Member

I often get corrupt TIB files when creating partition images under the windows interface from one HDD partition to another HDD partition. However, if I boot the Linux version, imaging the same partitions is always successful and the verification from both the boot disk and under XP is OK. The process of creating the backups is noticeably faster from the boot disk as well.

With only a single HDD on my system, I've been creating 2GB sized images and then archive them, two TIBs at a time to 8x DVD+R at 4x burn speed on blank media. Nero Express burns them just fine.

Now when I run the verification on these DVD+R stored images, starting with the last DVD+R, TI 8 dutifully prompts for each disk in sequence and the result is always a corrupt notification at the finish. This verification takes a long time too. So they were not corrupt on the HD, but become corrupt when burned?

Another big disappointment has been my failure to burn a full disk archive straight to DVD+Rs formatted with Roxio's drag-to-disc. The DVD burn process within TI8 fails every time. This is with Sony 8x rated media and a brand new LG 4163BI burner with the lastest firmware (A102).

Until I install another HD in this box, I'm sad to say this software is too flaky to support DVD+R archiving and is useless to me.

I did try archiving to a network drive, but aborted the process when I realized it would take many hours over a 100Mb/s LAN connection.

This is sad because the promise made by all the tech media pundits is that TI8 is the answer for quickly restoring a failed system back onto a hard drive without all the hassle of rebuiding from scratch. The hype notwithstanding, here in the real world TI 8.0 is beta software.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello alert5,

Sounds as if you've got some other application(s) running in the background that interferes with the imaging process. Try closing down all non essential apps and see what happens.

Again, try closing down all non essential applications. I would also recommend burning at around x2/x2.4 speed. Takes longer but it's still a damn sight quicker than carrying out a complete reinstall!!

Close down non essential apps? Try RW disks for a change? Also, if you search this forum you'll find that Roxio's Drag-to-Disc causes more headaches than you can shake a stick at.

A bit harsh don't you think? No software works 100% for 100% of the users. These are the folks you mainly hear from when you visit any software support forum rather than the many thousands of satisfied users.

Regards

3. bobbyjak

bobbyjak Registered Member

I would suggest/recommend that you invest into a USB or Firewire external
    hard drive and store your TI images there..Works great for me..Have yet to
    have a corrupted image..I always use the boot rescue media to create & restore my TI images..I do not use the secure zone and always do a
    complete image, not incrementals..Have also successfully retored my sysem a number of times using this method..Just my opinion..

4. alert5

alert5 Registered Member

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.
    Believe me I want this technology to work for everybody. The big problem is the gap between a great concept and the reality of the implementation.

The suggestion of shutting down running processes while using this software just proves my point. That's just blaming the end user for the product's shortcomings. It also bolsters my contention that you will have far fewer problems in the first place if you boot the Linux disk and avoid those running processes in the first place. And, you still have issues with where and how to reliably store your images.

I will consider the suggestion for a USB2 external drive as I'm not one to argue with someone elses' reported success.

Best Regards,
    Gary

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Alert5,

There is one possibility that could explain the corrupt files, and that is bad memory, RAM. Here is a link to a memory tester (you have to burn the iso image to a CD). Let it run overnight or longer. If it can't find any errors in that amount of time, then I'm wrong, but if it finds an error, you have the lead to fixing your problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.