Using TI 8.0 to backup system drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Greenguy, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenguy

Greenguy Registered Member

I just got True Image 8.0 due to the great reviews. I am using WinXP with SP2, and 2 physical 80G IDE hard drives, each having a single partition, using FAT32.

I installed the True Image on primary/system drive, created the Secure Zone on the second drive (which I just use for backups and games), and activated the system recovery/F11 thing.

Then I made my first complete image of my primary (system) drive. I placed the image in a directory on the other (secondary) drive, in a folder called backups.

Image created sucessfully. Checked/verified good.

I didn't realize then that I could have stored the image in the secure zone. So now I have a 30G secure zone (with nothing in it?) and a 19G image both on secondary hard drive.

So far no problems, just questions:

1. I plan to use True Image to backup my primary system drive to my second hard drive (as I just did). I assume that I will only restore it after my primary drive has failed and will not boot. In that case I will boot from the boot CD I made with True Image, and restore from the second drive. Do I need a Secure Zone for any reason, since I will only be creating images of primary on the secondary?

2. If the primary drive has failed, (with True Image installed on primary but Secure Zone on secondary) will this F11 thing appear and work to load True Image? Is this System Recovery/F11 thing based on the primary being able to boot?

3. Regarding using DVDs, I have a DVD burner as primary drive on my other IDE channel (the IDE cable not used by my 2 hard drives). I hate UDF, as I have used InCD, DLA, and DirectCD, and they always failed and frequently messed up my system so that I could not read any CD-ROMS, or DVD-Rs.

If I copy the image files (which were automatically split into FAT32 compatible sizes by True Image, to a series of DVD-Rs, am I correct in assuming that True Image will not be able to use them to restore the image after I boot off the bootable CD? (Because it only will read UDF disks, or will it read the DVD-Rs?)

Sorry for such a long winded post, but I was trying to make my concerns clear and give enough info to get a helpful answer.

Thank you for reading this!

Bill

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

No you don't have to have a SZ. Since you want to burn images to DVDs after they have been saved on the hard drive, you should remove the SZ because you can't copy files out of it.

The MBR of the boot drive is modified to allow the F11 "thing" to work. If the drive fails, the F11 "thing" won't work.

The TI Recovery CD will read DVDs that are created without UDF using DVD burning software without any problem.

For maximum use of the DVD, split the files at 1492MB and put three pieces on each DVD. That will avoid wasting 383MB on each DVD.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bill,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would like to add that you can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please also take a look at Acronis True Image 8.0 FAQ.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.