Using Secure Sites as a Safe-Harbors??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Prince_Serendip, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi everyone! Sometimes I have to leave my computer on while on the Net. I don't have time to close everything because I have to go immediately. I have several secure and trusted websites that I visit. My idea was to jump to a secure site and then go about my business. I considered it might be a wee bit safer than leaving it on an open site. I can also lock my firewall. I considered it to be the Internet equivalent of anchoring in a safe-harbor. Do you think this is a good idea/practice? TIA.

2. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Prince_Serendip,

Can't say if it does any good but I've done that before too. :cool:

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

if you have time to go to a different site, why would you not have time to close your browser?

4. Prince_Serendip

:) Hi UNICRON! Yes, but I'd still be online! Isn't that like leaving the door open? Is just closing the browser safer? I need to know. Thanks.

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

my computers are online 24/7. what difference does it make if you are there or not? It is unlikely that you would immediately know someone had infiltrated your machine even if you were sitting in front of it.

keeping IE open means one more connection is open. How can this help? It isn't like now no one can exploit IE because it is already open, you can open it as many times as you like.

IMO the only difference is that any site you entered information to may be stored untill you close your browser, so I recommend closing your browser.

And if you are locking your connection with a firewall when you are away, then most of this is less important.

If you really are paranoid, unplug the network cable. No hacker can beat that.

6. Prince_Serendip

;) Like Paul has said, "There are no stupid questions." Thanks UNICRON for your response! I know from experience that more heads have more useful insights than little ol' me. You know, it never even occurred to me to just close the browser? Thanks. That was one of the insights I was seeking!

7. Close your browser for what you describe ..park it on about:blank, the favorite home page of milllions, if the door bell rings or you have to powder your nose. :D

I am sure the Internet will still be there when you come back.

8. Prince_Serendip

:) Hi MyNethingyman! Actually, I thought I'd ask about this, because two nights ago I had to leave for just ten minutes. When I got back, my ISP connection had crashed. After repeated attempts to log back on failed I had to close shop. I get special alerts on my box from work. Beats a pager. (I still have one. Hate it. Try to use it only when absolutely no other way!) The fault for the lost connection was not on my end. Just the same I thought I'd come and check with you guys. What alternatives do I have? Or, can I get? Thanks.

9. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

With ZAPro, you can set your browser to not accept incoming connections from the Internet. That's all you should need.

10. Prince_Serendip

:) Hi Checkout! How are you? The new ZA Free has that very same Internet Off switch as is/was in ZA Pro. (But ZA Pro has MailSafe.) It works too! So, now I turn off the browser and hit that Off Switch. (I had some problems using that switch before with the browser on. Works fine with it closed.) Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.