Using Returnil in safe mode to run freeware

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by regeu, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regeu

regeu Registered Member

I use Returnil in safe mode to use freeware that I use occasionally but do not want to install permanently, thus keeping my registry simple. For example I sometimes need to use Format Factory for converting media files from one format to another. Instead of installing it permanently, I install & run it, convert the media format, and save it on a partition other than C: (system partition). Once I reboot, it is as if Format Factory was never installed. However the changed media format is saved on my other partition. Of course this only works if the PC does not require a reboot.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

EHh the OP wants to USE freeware, not to TEST it.

Explain me how you would convert the audio formats and save them permanently under Virtual Machine/Virtual Box?

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ask him, don't tell me :D

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Simple, at least with VM Virtual machines. Install the convert program in the VM, copy audio stuff to the VM, convert it, and copy it back to the host. The revert back to the snapshot, before install. Presto, done.

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Personally I'd use Symantec SVS v2.1 (older freeware version) application virtualization.That way you can activate these programs when you need them,then just switch them off when you're finished leaving no trace.

http://www.svsdownloads.com/download_svs.php

The problem with running high resource requirement stuff like video converters within a VM is that you need a mega rig in order to allocate sufficient resources to the VM to run them.

*Update* With regard to Format Factory as an alternative option there's a tutorial on making it portable here:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13969

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.