Using Kernel Exploits to Bypass Sandboxes for Fun and Profit

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Thankful, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. I find myself wondering if there's a better way to deal with kernel vulnerabilities. A kernel written mostly in managed code, maybe? That might be a good use of modern computers' processing power.

BTW, I don't think font rendering on Linux uses kernel calls, probably just calls to X11. But X11 runs as root. So a vulnerability in e.g. FreeType could probably result in arbitrary code being run with root privileges.

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Interesting read, thanks :)

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

@GJ,

If you want to deal with a secure kernel you want Grsecurity and Seccomp. The two best methods.

When MRW labs released the info the night of pwn2own I posted pretty quickly about this. No matter how powerful your MAC is the kernel is too tempting a target. Until you secure your kernel your system is vulnerable.

5. Yeah I know about GrSec and Seccomp. :) I'm trying to imagine more radical strategies; e.g. writing most drivers in a language with type safety and memory management, instead of portable assembly. This is what Singularity does. IOW stuff that isn't on the market yet, but might offer a longer term solution.

Also I would point out that GrSec is (very unfortunately) not applicable to Windows. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.