Using Kernel Exploits to Bypass Sandboxes for Fun and Profit

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Thankful, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. I find myself wondering if there's a better way to deal with kernel vulnerabilities. A kernel written mostly in managed code, maybe? That might be a good use of modern computers' processing power.

BTW, I don't think font rendering on Linux uses kernel calls, probably just calls to X11. But X11 runs as root. So a vulnerability in e.g. FreeType could probably result in arbitrary code being run with root privileges.

3. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Interesting read, thanks :)

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

@GJ,

If you want to deal with a secure kernel you want Grsecurity and Seccomp. The two best methods.

When MRW labs released the info the night of pwn2own I posted pretty quickly about this. No matter how powerful your MAC is the kernel is too tempting a target. Until you secure your kernel your system is vulnerable.

5. Yeah I know about GrSec and Seccomp. :) I'm trying to imagine more radical strategies; e.g. writing most drivers in a language with type safety and memory management, instead of portable assembly. This is what Singularity does. IOW stuff that isn't on the market yet, but might offer a longer term solution.

Also I would point out that GrSec is (very unfortunately) not applicable to Windows. :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.