using "higher" compression no recommended ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mantronix, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantronix

mantronix Registered Member

Hello,

How come Acronis does NOT recommend that users use anything but "Normal" compression when creating an image ?

I note this comes from the TI 8 manual, does this have anything to do with
    the restore time involved if you use a higher compression rate when actually creating the image ?

Are there cons to using higher compression, and should we keep to the "NORMAL " compression setting ?

any help appreciated.

2. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

Where in the manual does it say that Acronis only recommends normal compression? I use minimal compression on all my images. The file creation is faster this way, and I have had no issues using that compression setting.

Tipton

3. IMO it depends on the kind of files you want to backup.
    Some type of files (mp3, mpg,...) just don't compress.
    So it just costs time with no reduced size.
    OTOH if you have files that compress well (txt, html, xls, ...) you really will see a diffrence between compression levels.
    But the higher the compression level the smaller the gain compared to the previous compression level.

Most systems store files of all types. The mix of them determines the final compression. So I think noone can give real advice on it except tries what works best for your HDs.

Just my 2 cents.

4. mantronix

mantronix Registered Member

Good morning,

I guess I thought there was an issue on restoring the image, - ie: if you use a very high compression to create the image, then restoring the image will take MUCH longer because it is so highly compressed.

I just have a feeling this is the case, but I could be wrong.

5. I think that feeling is right.
    If high compression was as fast a as none or low Acronis whould have left out the options and set it to high.
    Just try a lower setting next time. Then decide if the what you prefer most: speed or size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.