Using Google with Opera results in frozen screen

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fly, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Something that I experienced today for the first time.

For some reason, Google defaults to https.

Using Google as a search engine while using Opera 12.15, WIN XP SP3 512 MB RAM results in a frozen screen and frozen computer. Within minutes.

I have tried to restore a known clean image, with and without security software. It doesn't seem to matter.

I haven't seen anything unusual except that the Google search page is graphics-intensive.

When I check - if I have time- Opera's CPU utilization tends to peak.
    Visiting a single website is fine, for the most part.

Has anyone else experienced something like this ?

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It seems that the problem has been solved, at least temporarily.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It seems that some things never get old ?

Recently I've had to deal with Google/Opera (?) freezing my computer.

It seems to be happening when Google puts a lot of dynamic content (?)/pictures on its search page.

Of course, this is an old computer.

Anyone else ?

4. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I had used Opera since version 8 but I finally had to stop using it after version 12.15 because it no longer worked correctly with a lot of secure sites, especially Hotmail and even the https version of YouTube. After trying Maxthon and QupZilla, I settled on using Chromium as a replacement and would recommend it to anybody else having similar problems.

5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No problems at all, but using Linux version of 12.16 (64 bit).

When problems do arise (not often), I usually test with a clean bare-bones temp. install with opera -pd /tmp/test_opera
    That way I can see whether the problem is due to something peculiar to my install; eg. maybe an extension is not playing ball.

7. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Currently using--and posting--with Opera 12.16 32 bit on Windows XP. No problems. Adblock Plus is the only addon. I've done lots of Google searches with this version of Opera over the last few months. I have logged onto a Google account as well. I don't use hotmail. I have watched Youtube videos but haven't logged on to Youtube.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

On 12.16 x64 for months maybe 6 or more Bens Bargains wouldn't render right. Then a month or so ago bam it's working.

I wish Opera would add bookmarks already to Next.:'(

9. oneeyed25

oneeyed25 Registered Member

I switched to windows 8 from xp recently and still using opera (12.16). I had no problems under xp but on win 8 the browser seems to freeze sometimes. This could be related to what you're experiencing, nothing to do with the redirection to https afaik.

I managed, I think, to find that the problem comes from some sites with png (or some types of png at least). I first tried to block all png (content blocker http://*.png*). This worked and I could add exceptions (manage site preferences) but this was definitely clunky.

So in about:config (Quick find "Image" to find those settings), I unchecked Image Interpolation (only useful when zooming IMHO) and Draw Images Instantly. This last setting is the culprit I think, when on by default it processes images by chunks allowing it to show up with some kind of blurring... Well my guess is it hangs on some types of png. I don't notice any real difference in the quality of the browsing and this works much better than blocking. No freeze since then, even with 50+ tabs open (about 2 weeks, crossing fingers) :D

The sites with lots animated content can be countered with unchecking show animated images (they will still show up but only the first frame, great for most sites especially those with ads, again you can add site exceptions). Also be sure to limit opera to 4-8 connections by server (I have set 4 myself), this is what slows down some pages with connection time out since opera's default of 16 isn't supported by most servers. You can keep 64 connections total or even pump it up tho (nice when multi-tabbing) .

I've tried chrome and firefox, even IE, but I really can't find the strength to switch. Manage Site Preferences is so much better than chrome exceptions or IE's zone system (I have JS and plugins off by default and add exceptions for each site, plus style preference via custom css, masking as IE/FF, and more..)and much faster/easier to setup. The Tabs on the left/right side also make a lot of sense to use wasted space on wide screens and only FF offers that via some plugins (but again it looks ugly and uses more resources). Sigh... I think I'll have to resign myself to use this version (no hope that opera will ever get this kind of customization on their current version ever again)

I've set it up with icacls to run under low privilege and it's working fine (actually better than my old browser under sandboxie in xp), hopefully since so few are using this version it makes it less a target for exploits and compensates not having the more complex sandboxing of chrome or new IE.

Note : if you want to use the 64 bit version of opera 12.16, it's not easy to find it on the main site (the download links only to 32 bit at least on windows). Here is a link to their ftp public server with all versions (32/64 bit included) : http://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.