Using Eaz Fix

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by djg05, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

yeah easter, elaborate on that point if youd be goodly enough. (the mighty easter, questioned for the first time?)

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

What he is probably talking about is that all of the apps mentioned,create something which could be imagined as a layer and once they are active,it was impossible to use any standard defraggers.
    Its best to defrag before installing-then the built in defraggers will work on the snapshots only.

In practice,this wasnt a real handicap,but I did uninstall/reinstall every few weeks,which isnt a hardship and do a proper defrag.

There is now a command line available,which means that you can do a full defrag with uninstalling,but I dont know how effectively it works.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting combo dualing up BOTH rollback & FD-ISR, i like to read more on the benefits of your results for those who prefer that pair together.

Hairy Coo is quite right, and i'm not just poking at Rollback, CHKDSK once trashed out my FD-ISR archives, said it was removing corrupted security descriptors and other mentions. I never let it run (automatically) again after that mess, i happened to have second set of archives on another drive to make up for that issue.

Point is we need to take every precaution seriously when it comes to disk/platter programs when dealing with ISR's, excellent that they may be but Windows O/S's have always seemed to live up to the adoption of Murphy's Law.

And thanks Chris for the links to the original developers and a little piece of history thats led up to Rollback/EAX-FIX. Still am somewhat put back that they haven't yet corrected your own personal issue with it. I'm sure you miss that. If it's important to you, the loyal customer, it should be important to them, the provider, to make it up to you as best they can for it.

4. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

No problem for the info. Yes I do miss Rollback but it's definately not that they didn't try to work on it, they just couldn't reproduce it on their systems. If it can't be reproduced it's had to fix. I think I will try what Nexstar mentioned to see if that works..

Thanks,

Chris

5. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Chris, the following is from the HDS KB:

Graham

6. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Thank for the info. I'll give it a go in the next couple days and see what happens. Mine is slow booting up not shutting don but like you said it's worth a try.

Thanks,

Chris

7. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So EASTER, I have EAZ FIX installed (hypothetically only at this point) and I want to defrag my system with JkDefrag, how would I go about doing that? Thanks Again!

8. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

2 solutions :

1 - Uninstall EAZ-Fix then defrag and reinstall EAZ-Fix
    2 - Defrag, make a snapshot (beware the snapshot can be huge depending on the fragmentation of your disk) and make a new baseline using this snapshot

Regards,

MaB

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Would it be better to take an E/F image - defrag - reinstall the image and that I assume would keep the history.

10. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

And the fragmentation will come back, i think djg05

Regards,

MaB

11. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Yes I suppose it will. There is an argument about the necessity of defragging - just to muddy the waters.

They give an answer here

12. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Has anyone experimented with the imaging in Eaz Fix yet?

Curious to know if it works as advertised or not.

Regards,

Basic

13. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I tried out the imaging but could not get the boot disk to perform correctly. Basically it just crashed when reading my drives. I am told that a new version is coming out soon. Until then and it is proved to work I will not be going any further with it.

14. nexstar

There's a new build (2692839437) of RB on the HDS site now which has the lockdisk setting at 0 by default. It might be worth you trying that one.

Graham

15. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks Graham and could you post the link if possible. Sometimes I have some problems navigating to the right place on their site.

Gary

16. nexstar

Sure. You can find it here :) .

Graham

17. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks Graham.

Gary

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

All this talk about EAZ-FIX made me want to try this concept again. Especially since EAZ-FIX is praised by Easter being more stable than Rollback. I have had my issues with RB so I have licked my wounds for a year or so but missed the concept all the time.

I have installed EF in a limited account in vista and it runs just fine. But it doesnt play well with Software Restriction Policies (antiexecutable settings) After a while I cant start any programs for some reason. Even though I whitelist EF folder...well if I continue to use EF I guess I can live without SRP.

I have installed EF in a FDISR snapshot but cant really find any benefits. I havent digged into the problem but I can not boot to my other Vista snapshot using FDISR. But that doesnt bother me since I can not see the benefit having them both running at the same time. Maybe I´ll see it when I care to investigate why it doesnt work right now, but that is a matter for the future.

I´ve been running EF for a week and it works fine. I am tempted to buy after the trial because I just love it, ecpecially now that it has its own imaging so it can restore all the snapshots. But I do remind me self that Rollback worked perfectly fine for a couple months before it got corrupted. But maybe, maybe the orignal software works better, ecpecially now that there is some versions between the one I used and now...

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The trick to getting to work with FDISR is to do a custom install and then install it in both snapshots. I don't remember the details.

Pete

20. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks Pete. I will remember that if I decide to use them toghether.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Easter! I think u have a paid licenece for Eaz Fix. If so, can u try a restore by builtin DriveImage of Eaz Fix. I want to know if it can restore all the sanpshots alongwith Eaz Fix itslef.

Thanks

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm already past due on this by about 3 days or better now because another post is inquired about the .ebi files it made. I'll close up shop on this system after Sunday and insert the HD with EAZ-FIZ and test all this out and post some results. I been needing to confirm this myself because i'n new to this really neat ISR program. I should have some results either up or down this week upcoming, hopefully positive. LOL

I get all caught up sometimes between my Adobe Flash editing, trying to collect the latest rootkits/malware, and downloading some old apps i remember before their website finally vanishes like some do.

Does anyone know if Doug Knox's site will ever be updated again? Last time on it reads 2005, so between his and Kelly's Korner, i been also busy trying to scarf up as many reg/vbs files as possible before they may decide suddenly one day their obsolete or something. Those VBScripts are Xtremely useful for XP and other systems.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I will wait for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.