using dialup to download new build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dbknox, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

The new builds are very large and I have dial-up. For some reason Acronis does not allow an update to be downloaded using a download manager. Not only does this tie up my telephone line for hours, but if I get accidently disconnected, I have to start all over again. I have no access to high speed, so I have no recourse but to use dial-up. I presume that it has something to do with the licensing and log-in. I have several programs that I have to update on a fairly regular basis, and they have been set up to look in my registry and find the license key, so all I have to do is install over top of the old program. Why can't Acronis do this? Surely I am not the only one in the world that is stuck with dial-up! Does anybody know of a work-around for this? I live approximately 100 miles from my nearest friend/family member with high speed.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello dbknox,

I use <GetRight Download Manager> all the time and it has never failed to download True Image, even when I was on 56kbps dialup. Just make sure you you disable "Automatically do Accelerated (Segmented) downloading" in its options settings.

Regards

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks Menorcaman
    Are you talking about builds/updates or the full program before you add in your license key. I had no problem at all downloading the True Image program, but once I registered it and tried to update to a new build using my login, that's where the problem started. Acronis states that it does not support download managers. I was wondering if there was some way to resume the download from my browser cache. Meanwhile I will try down loading the last new build with
    getright and report back.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I've had no problems using GetRight for both. As I said, make sure you disable the Accelerated (segmented) download feature because I believe it's this that the Acronis download server baulks at. If you need some help with GetRight's configuration send me a forum Private Message (PM). Anyway, I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Okay I waited a couple of days and tried to "resume" with getright and it wouldn't do it. I disabled the Accelerated (segmented) download feature as you advised. It did work the first day whenever I tried to resume and even the next morning. So I left it for another day and no luck!! I didn't buy the program and maybe the trail is limited. I am going to see what downloading with "opera" will do.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    The trial is limited.

7. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Okay it was the same deal with Opera, I was able to resume downloading for two days and on the third it couldn't resume. I don't want to purchase "getright" and find out it doesn't work for me. My normal download manager responded the same way, I could resume the next day but on the third or forth I had no luck. I really think acronis should have a bit of mercy on us dial-up users and support download managers or at least allow downloads of there new builds piecemeal. Believe me I would love to have highspeed. Once they have a fix for win98 burn to dvd, I will have to make the 200 mile return trip and hope it works.
    Thanks for your help.

8. dobbelina

dobbelina Registered Member

If you're a license holder, one would hope that Acronis has the decency
    to send it to you as a CD, via the mail....

9. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Flashget has recently been released as freeware. This software has been around for a great many years and is highly recommended by people I know that use the software.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose, and maybe it will do the job for you.

http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm

John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.