Using BitDefender9

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ronbo613, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo613

ronbo613 Registered Member

I've been using BitDefender9 for a couple months now and it seems to be doing the job. Caught a few email viruses and HTML-based Trojans. I switched my cleaning actions to "Delete Infected File" as first choice and "Quarantine Infected File" as second choice. I needed a little assistance, the Technical Support via email was very helpful. I mentioned I was using some other software(Spybot, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, Adaware, CCleaner) that may be causing problems. I sent them a HijackThis log and they checked everything out.
    At first, I did not want to get rid of the anti-spyware software. I didn't notice any conflicts with BD9, so it wasn't an issue. After a couple months of Spybot coming up without any spyware and BD9 adding spyware protection, I uninstalled Spybot and SpywareGuard. All I have now is BD9, Adaware, CCleaner and SpywareBlaster, all seem to be running fine. I usually run CCleaner and Adaware when I'm done for the day, Adaware is not finding much these days either. CCleaner does a good job of cleaning up after a busy day on the internet, I'll keep it as long as there are no problems. With CCleaner, you have to uncheck the setting that deletes logfiles or it will delete the BD9 logs and you'll get a message from BD9.
    All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with BitDefender. I paid $20 for it, it's worth that, for sure. Having used Norton AV for the past few years, BD9 is way better than that, especially with updates. BD9 does run a lot of stuff in the startup menu, but if you want your whole computer protected, I guess that's the price you pay.

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thanks for info..........:doubt:

3. pykko

pykko Registered Member

from my own experience and from others too..... BD miss viri form on-access scaning but I don;t know why...perhaps some settings or not a very good engine.

Also when it catches one it shows you only that small window...BD cuaght win32/blabla virus and it's now blocked ... and your only choice is to hit OK. To delete, clean or quarantine the virus you should perform a scan which is not so funny. :(

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Take a look in your settings mate ;) You can let the on-access scanner do these things automaticly.

5. ronbo613

The default settings for BD9 are to first notify you if a virus is detected. If you change the default settings to "Delete Infected File" as the first action and "Quarantine Infected File" as the second action, you won't have to run a scan to find and delete the infected file.

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

yes, I know that but I preffer to have a big window with these actions when a virus is found to decide by myself for each case. ;)

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But this may not be the best setting for any "false positives".

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

right Blackcat...that's my point. ;) This is the reason I want to decide on every detection what to do. :)

9. ronbo613

Then, put "Quarantine Infected File" as the first action. I may do that myself, but I haven't had any false positives yet, so I hadn't considered it before.
    You might send your suggestions to BitDefender, maybe they will improve the way it works. They seem to be open to customer feedback.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Incorrect. The default setting is to DELETE. You have manually change BD 9.5 Pro to notify.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I was a happy user of BD7 and 8 free as my only AV on XP Pro SP1, and later SP2, for about one and one-half years. Then I made a mistake. I got BD Pro 9. I liked it (although I turned off the mail scanner and didn't install the antispam)...that is until the forced upgrade to 9.5 several weeks ago. That upgrade caused BSODS on reboot from two BD drivers that had caused no problems when I had version 9. BD support was poor as they blew me off over and over. I finally convinced them that this was a bug ...a bad one too... and then they issued a fix to all users two days ago. That stopped the BSODs. However, in the process of gathering enough information from me to fix their bug, they eventually asked me to run Belarc Advisor and send the results.

They then told me (even though they had just admitted that I was right there was bad bug in 9.5) that most of my problem was caused by using Spyware Blaster and Spybot. They insisted that I immediately remove both. They said these two cause slowdowns and hangs while surfing if used with BD standard or Pro. I wrote back and asked for the reasons why this was so as I had seen no conflicts with BD 9 and these applications. I also had begged them to allow me to simply remain with version 9 as I have no interest in their silly little, ineffective new spyware scanning (BD makes an outstanding AV and they should stick to that and leave antispyware scanning to others). They told me that all users are forced to upgrade to 9.5 no matter the bugs and that no one is allowed to stay with 9.0. That is a strange attitude.

BD support refused to tell me why BD can't get along with Spyware Blaster and Spybot and they didn't care in the slightest that I had told them I planned to get rid of BD rather than getting rid of my two favorite and oldest anti-spyware applications. They said I would receive no further support until I removed these "offending" applications and if I would rather get another AV that was fine with them. Whoa! That is an arrogant attitude!

Anyhow, I have asked JavaCool if he has any idea what the problem is and also asked Patrick over at his forums. It is a shame as BD is a fine scanner but I wasn't using Tea Timer if that is the cause of the Spybot conflict. How the immunize feature of Spybot, and the setting of killbits for ActiveX nasties with Spyware Blaster, could cause a conflict with an AV scanner is a mystery to me. I was also really taken aback by the abrasive, cryptic and downright rude and slow tech support which I had heard was really good. Yes, they did fix the BSOD problem but tried to ignore it at first and appeared to not even grasp for a long while that they had a bug.

I find ominious this trend with AV companies toward suites. I don't want a suite. I want an AV because I want to use ProcessGuard for registry protection and Spyware Blaster, Spybot and perhaps CounterSpy for antispyware. I want the freedom to choose which applications I will use with my AV. That simple right is getting taken away from us by the AV companies who now are tending to produce only suites or even when they do offer AV only they could care less if their AV conflicts with important other security software. They now seem to have no desire to work with other security companies so that the user can choose what products they wish to use together. I've tried other suites and they are not worth it. Even AVs that try to do too much aren't worth the headaches. I just want a topnotch AV scanner which preferably doesn't do email scanning (my ISP does that on all incoming AND outgoing mail plus I use Outlook Express and Microsoft warns to NEVER use an AV scanner on OE due to the fragility of the data base).

I would just go back to the free version of BD but I can't. I have removed BD9.5 and used a registry cleaner and then installed version 8 free and am told it has expired when it should expire this fall not now. That was using the installer I had on the computer already. So, I got rid of that, ran a registry cleaner again and went and downloaded from the BD site, the free version. I am again informed that the free version is not available to me. Had I known I couldn't ever go back to the free version after having a paid version that would have been a reason (along with this supposed conflict with Spyware Blaster and Spybot which I was unaware of when I got BD9 Pro) to never have gotten a paid version.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=725811#post725811

12. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I'm very happy using BD 9 too...
    Considering Trojans in my INBOX everyday, BD have better detection than NOD32 and Antivir.
    People of Softwin add virus samples when receive and analyse it when NOD32 don't add because it's not the policy of ESET.
    Support team of BD is very good too...
    For me it's 2nd, behind Kaspersky only... (today, but tomorrow can be different).
    Ah! Firewall and antispyware integration is very good too...
    I don't use SPam filter...

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

'Prompt user for action' 1st and 2nd is the only way for me.
    I was happy with BD, if I remember rightly you could ask for an update about 3 times a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.